Fireflies

Ben's wedding was beautiful. Jemima looked wonderful, and Ben had never been happier in his life. Marcus was proud of his mate, and gladly took the roll of best man. It was everything a wedding should be, full of love, kindness, and joy. Marcus had to admit that for most of the ceremony, he was looking at his wife and kids, and not so much the happy couple. Whenever Carey caught his gaze she'd give him a large and gentle smile, clearly remembering their own wedding. The entire time Marcus just wanted to wrap her up in his arms and kiss her, which he did promptly after the vows were exchanged.

During the reception, Carey asked him to dance. Of course he accepted, there was nothing that would stop him from dancing with the most beautiful woman in the world. Her hands rested on his chest as she peered up at him.

"Remember at our wedding, when the entire time you were scared you'd mess up the dance?" Marcus asked gently, and received a shy grin in return.

"It was nerve wracking. I knew if given enough time, I would mess it up." She smoothed down the lapels of his blazer. "And then I did. And you laughed."

"Awh, baby. I didn't laugh." He smirked.

"You did too! Arse." She grumped, hands sliding up to the base of his neck.

"Okay. Maybe a little, but you were just so cute and beautiful and I was laughing the entire night because of how happy I was." Marcus felt the need to remind her, rubbing small circles in her back.

"Fine." She glared up at him, although she really couldn't even pretend to, as her lips cracked into a smile a second later. She pulled his lips to hers, standing on her tippy toes to kiss him.

"Mumma!" Ellie, their eldest daughter ran up to them, tugging on Carey's dress. "The sky's glowing." She looked at her mother with large eyes, completely serious.

"What?" Carey questioned, going to her daughter but tugging her husband with her. "Show me."

Ellie led them outside, to where all the other kids were, including their two year old son, Noah. She giggled, staring at the sky in pure wonder.

"Look, it's glowing." She pointed. Sure enough, the sky was illuminated by fireflies.

"It is, Ellie. You're right." Marcus smiled, picking up his daughter. Noah came running to his parents holding sparklers.

"Woah, little man. Easy with those." Marcus warned and Carey took them from the bright eyed boy. He shyly grinned, tucking himself behind his mum. Marcus set Ellie down when she wriggled and she ran off to go see the bugs closer. Marcus, smiling adoringly at his daughter, was unaware of the large heart Carey was drawing around him with the sparkler. He turned to see her blowing him a kiss, and walked back to her.

"What?" He slipped out of his suit jacket to wrap it around her shoulders.

"Nothing. I just wish we'd had sparklers and fireflies at our wedding." She gave a cheeky grin, and her sparkler sizzled out.

"Oh, I guess I screwed that up then." His hands fell to her hips.

"You really did. Our wedding sucked compared to theirs." She teased, soft lips pressing to the freckle on his chin. "Especially when you sang for me. Total waste of time." Her arms wrapped around his waist, squeezing him to her.

"I agree. I don't know what I was thinking to sing to you. Your favourite song no less." Marcus chuckled and hugged his wife back, a hand soothingly running down her spine. A moment later Ellie ran back, her hands clasped together.

"Mumma! Daddy! I got one!" She ran to them and Marcus reluctantly let go of Carey with one arm to scoop up his daughter.

"You did?!" Marcus kissed her dark curls.

"Yes!" She opened her hands just slightly to show she had. "I named him Buzz!" She smiled proudly. Marcus adjusted his grip on her so she wouldn't fall out of his arms.

"Awh, that's sweet, Ellie." Carey leaned against her husband with a hand on his lower back. He wrapped his free arm around her shoulders, keeping her close in an effort to quell her shivers.

"Are you cold, baby?" He asked gently, kissing her forehead. Carey nodded, huddled close into him. "M'kay. Ellie, let Buzz go."

Ellie stared at her dad, eyes pleading. "What? Why? It's my pet." She sniffled. Marcus felt his heart crack as he looked at his daughter.

"Ellie, sweetheart. You have to let him go." She shook her head no. "He has to go see his family." Marcus prompted gently.

"But he's my pet." Ellie begged her father.

"I know, but don't you think his parents and brothers and sisters miss him? Like if someone took you away from us. We'd be worried sick." Marcus saw his daughter nod, reluctantly releasing the lightning bug. Ellie had a heart of gold, and never did anything to hurt anyone else. She was just like Carey in that regard. She let out a final sniffle as Buzz flew away.

"You just made his family really happy, sweetheart." Carey mentioned softly, rubbing her daughter's back. She nodded and hugged Marcus' neck as the family headed inside. Noah tagged along, holding Carey's hand and toddling beside her. When they sat back down at the table, Marcus noticed the tears gone from Ellie's eyes. He kissed the top of her head and smiled. She was such a forgiving little girl. Marcus hugged his family close, thankful for everything he had.

A/N: lame. I know. But it sounded cute in my head. Also, Halloween chapter coming up (I know they named their daughter Evelyn but I convinced myself it would be Eleanor and that's kinda close, so hey)