Chapter Ten ♥ "Accusations"

Start from the beginning

“There is nothing to consider.” Zayed spoke in a slightly loud and angry tone. “Forgive me father but it’s my life on sake here.”

“I am well aware of that fact. But the reason why I chose her for you is because I know you more than you think you know yourself. She will be a perfect partner for you. I assure you of that.” For a moment Zayed wanted to blurt out all about Janaan but then seeing what situation they both were in, he stayed silent, upon which Waleed continued. “Mahra is a smart and a very respectful girl, with a great family background.” Waleed articulated. Zayed was well aware of her family background, but it wasn’t her social status he was marrying!

A scene from the argument with Mahra and that car driver flashed before his eyes, making him frown. “No, my apologies father but I cannot spend the rest of my life with someone like that.”

“What do you mean by someone like that? What is it you saw in her that I couldn’t?” Waleed exploded, demanding for answers. 

“I just don’t want her. Isn’t that a good enough reason?” Zayed yelled back, regretting the words as they came out of his mouth. He ran a hand through his short hair, bitterly and sighed. There was also a moment when he wanted to laugh at the incredibility of circumstances. He would never think he’d be discussing Mahra with his father.

A long and brutal moment of silence passed, in which the father stared at his son disappointedly and Zayed looked down at the floor. He had never used such a tone with his father before, and this was probably the worst time to do it, but his pride still kept on stopping him from apologizing.

“All I am saying is that you consider it as an option. As far as the girl’s character is concerned, well, I am more aware of it than you are.” Waleed’s voice was low. He stood up and walked to his son, “In the end the decision is yours but as a father I think it’s my right to inform you what I think is best for you.” And with those words, he patted his back and left the room. Zayed got up from his chair, ferociously and left the room.

The flashback ended, and Zayed winced once more at the bitter memory of that conversation. It had been three days he hadn’t talked to his father. Zayed was assured that Mahra was the least of his worries, he could get rid of her very easily, but it was his manner of speech with his father that had him thinking. And on top of everything, he had a wedding to attend. Fahad had called and personally invited him to come to his sister’s wedding. And apparently they had two invitations for this particular wedding, one from Fahad and the other from Zayed’s mother’s best friend, who appeared to be the groom’s mother.

There was a soft knock on the door, which made Zayed open his eyes and sit up. He heard his mother’s voice call him and enter the room. She approached him with a worried look on her face; “You’re not ready for the wedding. Didn’t Mona tell you, you’ll be taking us?” Zayed rubbed his eyes and hmmed, nodding. He ignored her eyes.

“What is it, Habibi?” She asked, concern oozing from her tone. She sat on the bed beside him. “You look disturbed these days?” She stated, caressing his cheek. Zayed shook his head; “No. I am fine.” He lied.

“Is it something about your work?” She guessed. Zayed shook his head once again. “Did your father say anything to you?” She said as if she knew what was wrong.

 Zayed looked up at her and plastered a smile on his face; “You worry too much mother,” He leant and kissed her on the head. “It’s nothing.” Umm Zayed beamed after making sure her son was fine and kissed him on his cheek, just like she did when he was a young boy.

***Mahra****

I stood in front of the mirror, staring at my reflection. The long eyeliner wings made my brown eyes look bigger and larger, the long deep amber colored hair that I so wanted to cut but my mom refused, fell below my shoulders. I had asked the beautician to curl the ends to give them a real appeal and enhance their beauty. My make-up wasn’t too extravagant. It was light, just the way I liked it, though we were going to my cousins wedding but I always hated painting my eyes with rainbow colors.