"You can give me your name," he suggested. "I'm Lysander, by the way." He held out his hand.

"I'm Daveigh." Hinawakan nito ang kamay niya. They shook hands. And her hand was even softer than he imagined.

"Now, can we go back to the part that you'll pay for my coffee?" he said. "Except we're gonna change some things and I buy you coffee instead and we'll sit down and talk a little more. What do you think?" Shit, maybe she has a date. "If you're not waiting for someone, that is." Please say you're not.

Daveigh bit her lip--damn--and shook her head. "I'm not waiting for anyone, no," she said. Lysander almost exhaled with relief. "Hmm, sa tingin ko hindi na rin ako makakatanggi, 'di ba? May kasalanan ako, eh. Alright, fine. 'Talk a little more', it is."

He was not able to hide his delight, his grin broadened. "So, what do want?"

"Anything you choose. I am not picky. Except sa scenery. Can I choose our table outside?" she asked.

Anything for you, baby. "Sure. I'll just go order."

She smiled and nodded so off he went.

Matapos niyang mag-order ay nakita niya itong naghihintay sa table malapit sa veranda. She even has a classy taste, he thought to himself. He liked her more and more.

He set their orders down and they started to talk. The questions were in the basic getting-to-know-you stage. He learned that she was still studying fine arts in a prestigious university somewhere and their family owned several farms from across the country. She was secretive about the details though so he let it go. Every so often they would trade jokes that made their conversation more enjoyable. He also talked about his family and some things about himself. He was sharing about the deal he just won.

"I bet you wouldn't call it luck," she said, arms crossed above the table and eyes soft against the orange sunset light. She was really beautiful in a somehow ethereal way.

"No, it was hard work," he agreed, smiling tenderly. "But I would say that it was a very good fortune that I met you."

She smiled back. "I can't say I disagree. Somehow pagkatapos ng bunggu-an natin, nakalibre ako ng kape." Tumuwa ito ng kaunti.

"Gusto mo malibre ka ulit?"

She tilted her head and stared at him. "Are you asking me out?"

Hindi na siya nagpatumpik-tumpik pa. "Yes, I am," sagot niya.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Sige, libre mo ulit ako ng kape. Ibang flavor naman, ah."

"How about dinner tonight?"

"How about dinner tomorrow night?"

"Why tomorrow?"

"Why not tomorrow?" she asked back. "Masyado kang mabilis."

He exhaled a breath, fighting off the urge to laugh at himself. She was right, of course. Hindi lang kasi siya sanay na naghihintay. He was used to getting things right away.

"Anyway, do you mind if I excuse myself?" she told him. "I need to use the rest room."

He shook his head. "Go ahead."

She smiled a little at him, gathered her bag and left.

Pagkatapos ang ilang minutong paghihintay ay saka lang niya naalala na hindi pa pala niya nakukuha ang number nito. He reached for his phone in his pocket but it was empty.

Naalala niya na inilagay niya nga pala 'yon sa table after he read--and ignored--a text message from his secretary telling him that his next meeting was in fifteen minutes. He looked at the space where he put his phone, pero wala iyon doon.

His forehead furrowed. Sa pagkakaalala niya ay doon niya lang din inilagay ang wallet niya kanina. Hindi na niya kasi ito nabalik sa kanyang bulsa pagkatapos niyang bayaran ang kanyang in-order.

He glanced at his watch. Daveigh was taking longer than usual in using the rest room. Halos twenty minutes na ito roon.

He decided that maybe he just misplaced his things somewhere and went to search for her. He knocked at the door. "Daveigh? Are you in there?"

Ilang beses pa niyang kinatok ang pinto pero wala namang sumasagot.

Kaya nagtanong na siya sa isang waitress na dumaan. "Excuse me, miss, may nakita ka bang maputing babae na pumasok dito na may suot na red hat at beige dress?"

"Ay, sir, wala naman po akong nakita na pumasok diyan. Kanina pa po walang tao diyan."

Kumunot ang noo niya. "Are you sure?"

"Opo, sir. Dito lang po ako nakatayo kanina, eh."

"Okay, thank you," wala sa sariling sagot niya.

Confused, he went back to their table. Tanging ang dalawang coffee na lang ang ebidensya na may kasama siya kanina. He lifted the other cup up. Halos wala itong bawas.

Then almost suddenly, like a puzzle piece put back in its right place, everything just clicked. He was suddenly certain that he didn't misplace any of his things. He was sure as the earth revolves around the sun that he put his phone and wallet above the table. At habang nag-uusap sila kanina ay nasa ibabaw pa ang mga 'yon ng table.

Or at least, for a few minutes, he saw that they were there.

Wala naman siyang ibang kasama at kausap kanina. Wala rin namang ibang lumapit sa kanila dahil siya mismo ang nag-order ng inumin nila.

It only meant one thing. And it was in front of his face.

He was deceived. Everything was nothing but a fraud. The woman was a swindler.

What a fool he was to believe that it was good luck that he met her.

Pero huli na ang lahat--dahil nanakawan na siya nito.