Chapter 15

"I've got to go, professor!" Elizabeth shouted as she rushed out of the cleaning closet and back into the classroom, "I'm really sorry, it's urgent!"

"Elizabeth! You mustn't mention any of that-"

Slughorn's voice was cut off by Elizabeth slamming his classroom door and running after Tom. He wasn't far ahead but he was walking speedily. It was after hours.

"Tom!" She yelled, "Tom, wait!"

Tom stopped in his tracks and grabbed Elizabeth by the shoulders as soon as she was close enough. He pulled them around the corner and forced her against the wall.

"I knew someone was listening," he hissed, "I should've known it was you."

"It wasn't intentional, I swear," Elizabeth said defensively, trying to struggle away from him. It was no use.

"Then why did you continue to listen?" Tom snapped, gripping her tighter. Tears slipped from her eyes.

The man she'd come to love was turning into a monster.

"I didn't want to interrupt you," she choked out as his hands moved towards her neck. She felt the bruises forming.

Tom felt sorrow pool in his stomach as she winced, but she was merely a girl. He had such higher ambitions than being infatuated in a stupid romance.

"Please, stop!" Elizabeth cried out as his fingers spread out to cusp her neck. In an instant, he released his hold on her.

"Elizabeth, I-" He stopped himself. He knew he'd done wrong, and he owed her for that. Tom began to speak again, "Lizzie..."

Elizabeth's brown eyes became large and doe-eyed as Tom had always thought they were. Despite the events that had just taken place, a slight smile appeared on her mauve lips.

"Tom..." She whispered back. She was terrified.

"I didn't mean it," Tom said quickly. He grasped her again, but this time his arms were around her waist. He repeated, "I didn't mean it."

"You were going to kill me, Tom," Elizabeth sobbed into his chest as she slipped her own arms around his middle.

"I would never hurt you," he breathed out, "I couldn't bring myself to."

"I'm sorry, Tom," Elizabeth said quietly, pulling away from him. "You just did."

Tom's face fell. Before, he was just lacking emotion but now, it was clear that he was internally just as emotional as Elizabeth was.

On the outside, Tom and Elizabeth were very different people. Like dark and light, they couldn't connect without pushing the other away. But on the inside, they were like two halves of a magnet - sometimes they were inseparable, pushed together by fate and other times, they were just not meant to be.

"You shouldn't be sorry," Tom muttered, "I'm sorry."

Elizabeth looked at Tom and Tom looked at Elizabeth. Their eyes met like power meets evil - furiously and passionately. Tom pulled Elizabeth into his arms again and soon, she fell asleep as she sobbed.

He lifted her into his arms as if she were an injured puppy, cradling her like she was a crying baby. Elizabeth's head flopped into the crook of Tom's neck and Tom shivered as he felt her shallow breaths vibrate against his neck.

Finally, Tom Riddle had met his match.