Chapter 23: The double edged Hook

Hey,
Thanks for reading.
Important: I'm really sorry but I'm going on holiday for three weeks and I don't know if I can update and even if I can, I don't know if I will have the time to write more chapters. I'm very sorry, but I promise that during the week I return, I'll write at least two chapters! 
Please vote and comment.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'I won't let anyone hurt you, I'll keep you safe, you'll be safe and sound with me.' Pan told me and through all the commotion, as I wondered which side I was on, as I wondered whether I wanted to kiss him or kill him more, I trusted him.

And that day I saw him. It was the first time I didn't just see ideas of him, of what I wanted him to be like: brave, intelligent, strong, caring, loyal, friendly. But I started to see him, instead of an image of him drawn into the maps of my mind. I didn't just see the very, very good and the worst things about him, I saw everything I hadn't seen before: the things I didn't want to see before because I was too afraid.

Peter Pan just seemed to good to be true in that moment, like he was Malcolm once again, and somehow I doubted him, but I couldn't take my eyes off him. In fact, the mere sight of him made me weak, as if everything was not quite real.

I hadn't forgiven him for what he didn't tell me about Rumple, but I was prepared to sit there and pretend it didn't happen, because I was on a different side now and that meant I was a completely different person around Peter Pan.

It was a calm surrender from the rush of the game. I felt like a restless wanderer, but I believed and felt every second of it. In that moment, when the twisting kaleidoscope moved us both in turn, our star-crossed hearts were beating in time with each other.

'I must go now, Henry will be wondering where I am,' Peter said softly and pulled his legs up to his chin, standing slowly. I nodded, but showed no desire to follow him back to camp, so he left me alone with my thoughts once again.

I sat on the sand and thought for a long, long time about Peter Pan. I thought about what we had in the beginning, but adventures got in our way. He was charismatic, magnetic, electric, like a hybrid who couldn't contain himself. He was torn between being worse than evil itself and doing the right thing; the person I wanted him to be and the person he wanted to be. For the first time since we had met, I understood him that evening. I loved him like I never had before and I would still love him, until the end of time.

Nothing is perfect, this it wasn't going to pretend, but Pan's imperfections were quaint. Although Pan claimed to love me, things could get ugly, but we still battle through like an army that just keeps getting stronger. That's how we'll win our game. And I am not afraid of Pan or his army of Lost Boys because I know that Pan has my back and won't let them hurt me.

Peter Pan was different from Malcolm, but he was still the same person I fell in love with underneath it all. When asked why he changed his name to Peter Pan, he would merely reply that he wanted to leave his old life behind him. That wasn't what I meant; I was wondering why he chose "Peter Pan". But I didn't press it. I guess Peter loved the notion of withholding secrets so much that he became one.

I leaned back and closed my eyes, letting the droplets of sun warm me, but not to an uncomfortable extent. The air tasted much fresher and cooler in Neverland than when I was living with Malcolm, I realised, like tiny droplets of cold, woodland water suspended in the misty air.

The sand squished between my bare toes in my cool relief from the hot asphalt as the water rushed well above my ankles. I sighed and giggled as the sand moved, causing my feet to tickle. I looked over at the edge of the water, where it eagerly met the sands and shells and smiled at the pleasant harmony the beach created.