Chapter 16

Breakfast was delicious. I'm not one for breakfast food, so I had a hamburger. It was cooked to perfection. As I said, delicious.

I was about to leave the pavilion when the Stoll brothers walk up on either side of me.

"Hey Ames," says Travis.

"We've got a request for you," Connor announces.

"You see, Percy and Clarisse have become sort-of friends, so Percy won't help us with this prank," explains Travis.

"The prank's got to do with liquid, and we need your help," says Connor.

I smirk, knowing something they don't. What they don't know is that Clarisse knows all about this plan. Yesterday at the rock wall she told me that they'd ask for my help. We made a plan that whatever they try to get me to do, we'd turn it back on them. Truthfully, it had completely slipped my mind, but I'm going to follow through with our secret plan. I always pledge to whoever makes an alliance with me first.

"Sure, I'll help," I tell the boys. They smirk themselves, thinking they have the advantage that is really all mine.

By the time we'd planned, gathered our supplies and eaten lunch, the prank was ready. I had managed to slip away and warn Clarisse.

My smirk is prominent as we hide outside the Ares cabin, but of course, the Stolls think it's because of their prank.

Clarisse walks out, smirk on her face as well. The giant bucket of special glue that is in my possession glints in in the sunlight. I was supposed to move it from the bucket onto Clarisse with my powers because otherwise it would have stuck to the bucket. I dump it on the Stolls instead, but Connor's reflexes weren't fast enough and he pulled the string of the pink glitter gun anyway. I had found a way the make it backfire when they weren't looking, so now Connor and Travis are covered in pink glitter that is stuck to them with magical glue that takes weeks to come off.

Clarisse and I pull out our swords and chase them toward the lake, laughing the whole way. Once we stop acting like we're going to kill them, my stomach grumbles for dinner. Clarisse hears it and nods in agreement, "I'm starved."

I wave back to the Stolls, "Sorry boys! She allied with me first!"

We walk up to dinner still laughing.

----------------

Using my powers yesterday drained my energy more than I'd like to admit. After eating dinner I went straight to bed, not even considering the campfire. My powers have never done that to me and I start to wonder if it's because I'm not swimming.

The next morning I wander through the woods and eventually my feet carry me to the bunker. It looks the same as before, so I just wander around it, looking at all the projects and amazing machines.

Soon enough it's time for breakfast and I walk up there with Leo and Calypso, just like last time.

Once we get to the cabins, Nico falls into step beside me, brushing a kiss on my cheek when no one was looking. I grin and give him a sideways glance.

"Haven't seen you lately," I note.

"I couldn't find you day before yesterday and actual yesterday you were playing a prank, so I thought it best not to disturb that."

"Did you hear about the prank?" I ask, smirk coming back.

He nods, "Percy went on and on about it at the campfire, Clarisse had told him about it. By the way, why weren't you at the campfire?"

I turn and face him now that we'd stopped in front of the pavilion. "It might all ready be affecting me, Nico. Using my powers yesterday really drained me. Maybe my body's just getting used to it, but I don't know.

He nods, "We still need to see how long you'll last."

"I know," I grumble.

A smile plays at his handsome lips. He grabs my hand and kisses my knuckles before walking to his solitary table. I sigh and walk to join Percy.

------------

At sunset that night I stand with bare feet at the edge of the beach. My toes are in the sand, but my heels are still on the grass. I watch the sun sink with beautiful colors, brilliantly reflected in the water below.

I stand there silently until the sun is just below the horizon, revealing stars. I had just checked my watch when a small voice to my left asked a question, "Why aren't you wearing shoes?"

I turn to look at the little boy who asked the question. He must be about 8. He has blonde hair and light gray eyes. Must be a child of Athena. I smile at him and answer his question, "Well, the same reason you're not wearing a hat. I don't need it."

"Aren't you a daughter of Poseidon? Why aren't you swimming?" He continues.

"I, um, just didn't feel like it today," I reply, not feeling like explaining everything to him, "What's your name?"

"Phillip. My mom is Athena!" He exclaims proudly.

I can't help but grin, "That's a very nice claim to be able to make. My name is Ames. I'm a daughter of Poseidon and granddaughter of Athena."

"Oh! So we're related?" He asks.

"Um, yes, but I don't really know how. I'm like your step-step-sister, I guess," I explain.

He nods in understanding. There seems to be a lot of wisdom behind those gray eyes. He reminds me of Annabeth. I think of the story Percy told me of how she got here and wonder if Phillip's is like it.

We hear the conch shell and Phillip starts walking. When I don't follow immediately, he turns and asks, "Are you going to eat dinner?"

I nod, "How old are you Phillip?"

"Seven," he answers. He acts much older than that.

"Do you want to ride on my shoulders?" I ask with a grin. I know you think I'm crazy for asking him that, but I'm stronger than you think, I can definitely hold this little boy up on my shoulders.

He grins, "Yes!"

I easily lift him up high and with my hight, I'm sure he can see everything. I hold his knees as we walk in case he leans back. Making friends with Phillip lit something new inside me. I think it was my eagerness to protect and how Valca said that is my fatal flaw. All my friends until this point can easily protect themselves, so I had no need to protect them. Now, with Phillip, I have a young, untrained companion who I do need to protect. I decide, with him on my shoulders in the dusty twilight, that I am going to protect this boy with my life.