24 ➹ then

[ Creep by Radiohead ]

ATTENTION; This chapter does not follow from the last one. It takes place in SAGE'S PAST, BEFORE SHE MET CARL GRIMES.

This chapter is to show you why Sage kept her secrets of where Beth is located at, and reveal a lot of dark twists that you may not know of this Hospital.

Comment your names. ]

Chapter 24

t h e n

December 25th, 2013

B.C. (Before Carl. HAHAH)

It was Christmas, though nobody would be able to tell. There weren't lights chaining around the houses of the neighborhood, there wasn't mistletoe hanging from the doorway, there wasn't a bright and lively Christmas tree centered in the living room with gifts stuffed beneath all the ornaments.

The only gift we would get that Christmas morning was the grief of the memories.

I doubted anyone in that hospital knew of the holiday being today, because nobody cared to check anymore. We had no time for handing out gifts or saying our prayers; this was The System.

I was sitting in the abandoned hospital room that I called my own. My legs were dangling over the sides of the hospital bed, my body slouched over and my hands gripping the uncomfortable sides of the lining. My sandy blonde hair batted down my shoulders, tickling the sides of my cheeks as I stared down at my white sneakers. There were small puddles of blood dried upon the surface of my shoes, but I very well knew whose blood was shed from their skin;; my very own.

My hospital scrubs were long and blue and brought me large amounts of discomfort, but my Mom called it our uniforms. Just as she treated me as every other positioner in this Hospital; I worked under her lethal commands and feared her rage and vengeance.

  Daughter, I thought. You are not her daughter, you are her employee. But you, unlike anyone else in this sanctuary, have taken hits from her vile hands. You survived your mother's' malevolence, but what Daughter should have to do so?

Pulling up the blue sleeve to my scrubs, red lines had revealed themselves by every tug. Some white and faded, others red and raw. I pursed my lips as I remembered their shedding, but I didn't feel sorrow alongside the bloodshed. I was at the point in my depression where I forgot how to feel, and that was the worst point anyone could ever reach.

A knock sounded at my hospital door, and I instinctively tugged my sleeve down to my wrist. I could hardly taste my heartbeat and feel it in my throat within the panic, and I glanced up to the doorway. My hospital door was open, and Noah stood by it with a wrapped gift in hand.

[Noahhhh.]

His brown eyes looked at my wrists for a quick second, but he blinked and looked away before he would start staring. Noah knew me better than I knew myself; he knew what was beneath my sleeve.

His blue scrubs fit him almost as comfortably as mine did; I hardly drowned in the uniform due to my bony, starved figurine. His lips curved into a weak smile, and he invited himself in to my room.