Chapter Twenty Nine | Don't Ever Forget Me

ALEX'S POV

It's been three weeks since Tobin has donated her pancreas to me. It was the best thing that was ever given to me. During those three weeks, my doctor has claimed that I was cancer free so I believed him. I believed him until today, when they took another MRI only to find at least three more brand new tumors in my body. A new growing tumor in my lung, an old one in my pancreas, or in Tobin's pancreas. And another in my kidney.
My doctors didn't have to tell me that this time, I really didn't have much longer. A month is my max of life. It tore me up into a million pieces. I haven't told anyone, all I've been doing when my teammates stop by is giving them a fake smile.

It was already hard enough to tell them the first time, and I would hate to break them all into pieces once again. Today, being the last week of the month of September I knew that I had to tell them. So I will today.

I looked at the clock just above the door. Ten more minuets and Tobin should be here, like she always is every single day. Only this time, I told her to bring the entire team with. I know my time is coming up in a matter of days so now, it's time to make the most of those last couple days. Even though I've spent four months, in this hospital it's time for me to leave. To explore the world just one more time.

Finally Tobin knocks on my door, with her usual smile on her face. It hurt to smile back at her. What hurt even more was I've been lying to her for almost an entire a month. And I hated lying, especially to Tobin.

"Hi." I say softly as I force a smile, as the rest of the team all file into my room. Filling up all the space there was. I loved having all of them here.

"Tobin brought us all here, so this better be good." Pinoe says which earns her a slap from Carli. They all look at me with deep concern in their eyes. I hope they know what's coming.

"It won't be good." I say softly. "This is so hard for me to say, and I apologize in advance." I start.

"You're going to break our hearts again, are you?" Kelley says as she looks at me with sadness in her eyes. I make eye contact with all my teammates, and my heart aches for all of them.

"I was never cancer free, I never was. I believed whatever my doctor said and you guys believed it too. And I'm sorry, it's spreading more than I could have ever imagined. But I don't feel anything, I feel absolutely no pain but it's there. This living devil is inside me, and it always will be." I say.

"Just tell us Alex, we're hurting already." Ali says as she leans into Ashlyn as tears form in their eyes.

I take a deep breath and I close my eyes and then open them. "In my lungs, in my kidneys, in Tobin's pancreas. There's a monster inside of me, and it shows no sign of dying. It's just going to continue scaring me." I say. I look up at my teammates, the people who mean so much to me. It hurts seeing tears stream down everyone's cheeks. I looked at Tobin. Tobin. My best friend, I knew she was torn up in a million pieces.

"You can't be serious." KO says, as her freckled face was stained with tears of hurt and sadness. In this room, there was no sign of happiness.

"I'm dying and you all know it. You can't do anything about my sickness and the doctors can't do anything anymore. This is it, this is all I have left. Less than a week is all I have. I don't want you guys to treat me like a princess. Please, just treat me like Alex Morgan, your teammate. Me, baby horse. Treat me like that, nothing more nothing less." I say.

"Why can't the doctors do anything? That means they aren't doing their jobs? What the hell! They're just going to let an amazing soccer player lay here and die!? This is not right, it shouldn't be this way." Hope says.