Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

            “You took me to a bar?” Elena asked trying to hold back her laughter, this was definitely something Damon would do. Travel to another state just to go to a bar.

            He smirked at her as he parked the car, “of course I took you to a bar. This is our time out remember? For five minutes?” He reminded her of what he said last night and she rolled her eyes as she followed him into the bar.

            The lights were dim and there were already some people there sitting around the bar at the tables and some people were playing pool. Some of them looked up when they heard the door open. One guy winked at Elena who tried to hide her shudder. As they made their way to the bar Elena glared at two girls who looked much too young to be in a bar who were gawking at Damon without even trying to be subtle about it.

            A tall dark skinned woman with curly brown hair glanced up at them and did a double take when she saw Damon.

            “It can’t be Damon Salvatore.” She said with a grin.

            Without hesitating she swung her long legs over the bar and launched herself at Damon. Right before she could plant a huge kiss on his lips he turned his head so she got his cheek instead.

            “This man changed my world.” The woman said unfazed by Damon’s subtle rejection.

            “Yeah I rocked your world,” Damon replied with a smirk, “it’s nice to see you again Bree.”

            “It’s been too long Damon, you only ever visit me if you need some of my special help.” Bree said.

            Damon shrugged, “what can I say I lead a busy life. But no business this time, we’re just here looking for a distraction. Am I right Elena?”

            Elena smiled and nodded.

            “Does that distraction need a beer?” Bree asked.

            Damon nodded and Elena followed him to the bar where they sat on the nearest stools and watched Bree pull out two bottles of beer.

            Just as she was taking her first sip Elena heard her stomach growl and turned a light shade of pink when Damon chuckled at her.

            “Hungry are we?” He asked in a voice to let her know that he was only teasing her.

            “Hey a girls gotta eat.” Elena replied sticking her tongue out at him.

            Still laughing Damon called Bree over and ordered two burgers and fries.

            Even the bar was quickly filling up it didn’t take long for Bree to get their food to them. Starving Elena immediately lifted her burger to her lips and took a huge bite. As she chewed she made a face and struggled to swallow. Well aware that Damon was watching her she took off the bun and carefully removed the pickles with a look of disgust on her face.

            “What you don’t like pickles?” Damon asked, “what’s wrong with you?” He added after snatching the pickles Elena had just removed from her burger and popping them into his mouth.

            Elena made a face at him but ended up laughing, “I’ve never really thought about it but how can you eat if you’re technically...” Elena trailed off to look around and make sure no one was listening to her.

            Before she could finish her questions Damon said in a stage whisper, “technically dead? Well if I keep up a healthy diet of blood I can live a perfectly healthy non-human human life.” He bit into a fry after her finished talking as if to emphasize his point.