Month One

"How can my sister do this?" I mumbled while I rubbed my eye. I looked down to see Aiden sleeping soundly on my arm. Every time I went out of the room, Aiden would lose it; he would not go to Yu or my other roommate Nina. Waking up felt different though, not because of Aiden; it felt as if someone else was with us.

"You really take up most of this bed, you know that right?" I heard Alex grumble. I slowly turn to see Alex sitting up from the bed.

"Why are you in my bed? We have a spare." I mumbled, sitting up rubbing my eye.

"Did you really forget?" He went back to lying down next to Aiden, "It was late but every time I went to leave, Aiden would cry. I stayed but when we went to bed, he would insist that I would sleep with you both."

I rubbed my eyes and sighed, "I was so tired. I pulled an all nighter the night before. Once my head hit the pillow, I was out." I went back down, hugging Aiden but my arm draped over landing on Alex. "I can't believe someone left him."

I looked in Alex's direction to see him looking at me, "I can't believe you took him in." He moved looking up to the ceiling, he covered his face with his hand. "What's your plan?"

"I have class soon, but only for two hours and it's near. After, I was going to head to the police station to see if anyone filed a missing child's report."

"Who's going to look after him when you're in class?" Alex mumbled. I sat up a little, looking over at him: smiling. He glanced over and his eyes widen, "Selma, no!" He yelled. I quickly covered his mouth as he sprung up from his position.

"Don't be so loud." I hushed at him, glaring at him intensely, "Please," My face soften, "I know you don't have class until later and he likes you." I removed my hand, giving Alex puppy eyes. Alex gave me a scoff as I rolled Aiden onto him. I bent down to look at Aiden one more time and when I looked up I was face to face to Alex. "You're a real lifesaver." I moved away, getting down from my bunk.

"What am I supposed to do with him?" I heard Alex call out to me. I was changing putting on my shirt, turning to see him looking at me.

"I don't know. There's a playground near Old Saint Mary's in Chinatown. Or maybe take him to run around Union Square." I put on my pants, still seeing Alex looking at me, grabbing my bag as I head out the door, "I'll pay you back whatever you spend on him!"

"Don't worry," I saw him smile, "You're not in this alone."

---------------

Throughout class Alex would send me photos of his day with Aiden. In a way, it made me not want to go to the police. Alex told me he was waiting for me at Starbucks, attached was a photo of Aiden drinking his chocolate milk.

As class ended, I made my way up Powell to see them in the distance. Before I could make it to them, someone I knew stopped me.

"Selma!" Ian, a painter, smiled at me. He stepped right into my view of Alex and Aiden, who I could see right over his shoulder. "Want to catch lunch?" Ian was a classmate of mine and a few years older than me. He was nice but there was something about him that made me feel uneasy.

"I'm so sorry, Ian." I apologised, "I already have plans."

Ian pressed his lips together, "Oh, okay. Maybe dinner." He gave me a hug, one that lasted a few seconds longer than it should.

I went over to Alex and Aiden, sitting next to the little one. I smiled at Aiden, "Hey, sorry I'm late."

"When will he tell you he has a crush on you?" I heard Alex say bitterly, taking a sip of his coffee.