53: 2/3 Days Remaining - Black Heart

Start from the beginning

"I barely notice how much it pains me to walk and sleep."

"Really...?" His thumbs pressed into my shoulder blades and I grunted in pain.

His hands slipped over my waist and squeezed. I clenched my hands into fists but I didn't move. "Can you feel your wings, Lonny?"

It was like they heard him because my skin crawled and I rolled my shoulders so my bones cracked.

His cool hands moved up my arms and to my neck. He tilted my head to the side and moved my hair away from my neck. I stared ahead of me and tried not to think about his hands on me...

"You're wings are incomplete... but I can promise you they'll be beautiful." His fingers trailed up my neck and I shut my eyes. When I opened them, the red haze covered my vision briefly but I knew it was there. I was getting used to the amount of power I felt from the haze that it was becoming less noticeable than before.

"I know you're getting used to it, Lonny. You know what the power feels like. You like it." He tilted my head back to its original place and rested his head next to mine. "Let your growing wings free, sweetie."

I nodded obediently. He took a few steps back and I shut my eyes. I did exactly what Cameron taught me to do the other day. I concentrated on the pain but I lived in it. I heard the loud rip I usually hear whenever Gabe lets his wings out but it came from me. My body wracked with uncontrollable shudders. I could feel the bones scrape and scratch against the hard flesh on my back. The wind blew around me. It was an odd feeling. I could feel my feathers ruffle with my wings which made me shiver. It was a new feeling that I accepted quickly.

I kept my eyes shut as I stretched my growing wings to its extent. I didn't want to look at them until they were fully grown but as the bones on the wings moved and cracked into the right places, I knew that they were big. I heard gasps all around and the laugh from Eli.

It was like a load off having them out instead of having them inside me. The uncomfortable feeling that had been growing for the past few days had disappeared. Moving my wings was like moving my arms. It was so effortless... so normal.

I grunted and clenched my teeth as I cracked and crunched them into my back. At least now I understood the pain Gabriel was in whenever he used his wings. It was like trying to push a wardrobe full of clothes into a small suitcase.

I let out a sharp breath as my wings settled and the cracks of my bones seized. I wasn't sure whether the red haze of power had disappeared... I could still feel it there... but it wouldn't go. It wouldn't disappear.

Eli clapped as he walked forward. "Step four is complete. And I'm proud."

"I'm sure," I said with a smile. "How did they look?"

"Almost fully grown." He bent over and picked up a few pitch black feathers. "I love new wings. Especially yours. The texture is lovely." He ran his fingers up the feather and put them back on the floor. "Step five is not tomorrow but on the 31st. Be grateful you have a day off."

"I am." I found myself saying. "What is step five?"

He tutted. "Secret."

I picked one feather up as Eli and Grigori walked away. Jayden was watching me as I walked toward him. I held out one of my feathers and pushed aside that wave of overwhelming power to say, "What ever happens, remember I am still inside this demon. I know you might not be talking to me after earlier and I'm sorry. But you have to understand I can't help this. This feeling, this power is wonderful. And I'm vulnerable. I'd do anything right now."

He slowly reached his hand out and took the feather from my hand and I sighed with relief. I couldn't hold it back any longer and soon enough my vision blurred momentarily. I held out my hand to him and he took it after hesitating first. I helped him back into the cave and heated him up before settling him onto the bed. Just because I'm like this, it doesn't mean I don't care about Jayden. I still remember him which is good...

I heard the chains before I saw them.

Grigori walked in with a few chains and a huge smile on his face. I chuckled without humour. "Am I that powerful?"

"You're cocky now but you won't be when you're tied down for a day."

He hooked the chain to my leg and then a few to my hands. I pulled on the chains but flinched when the platinum dug into my skin. "I'm guessing this is your idea?"

"How'd you guess?"

"I can read your mind dumbass. Now please go, I've had enough of listening to your annoying voice.

He scowled. "Now that you're used to that power its beginning to piss me off."

"Then get out." I said simply.

He started muttering in Enochian as he stomped out of the cave.

I sat on the edge of the bed and leant my head on the back of the wall. Sleep was unavoidable. I was tired. This was the first time I've felt comfortable in days; minus the chains on my hands and my foot. My mind was on Jayden for a while but soon wandered off to my past. Random memories of angels I'd met in the past filled my vision. As more bombarded my brain, the more memories from my present life disappeared. I couldn't stop them this time.

I couldn't hold on to them.

Some were meaningless but some were horrible for me to lose.

I wiped an escaped tear away from my cheek and tried relaxing again.

My dreams were filled with memories that night... I felt like I was remembering my life...

But then again I was losing one too.

________________________________________________________

(edited 2023)