Chapter 27

Lucy was seated outside her bus in the sun. In front of her - on a makeshift table - she had a rolling pin laid out which she had clothed in a stretch n grow. She was carefully stitching diamonds onto it so that they would be visible to all and sundry.

"Hi." Alessandro's cold voice brought her hand and heart to a sudden stop.

"Alessandro!" She glanced up. "I haven't seen you for a while. I figured you must have left."

Lucy had been busy the entire morning after she'd been approached by her customer of the first stretch n grow requesting more. Another for his dog but in Christmas colors and a few for his friend's dogs, as wouldn't they make naff presents?

Her day had flown by with nine orders under her belt. Eight hundred dollars each. She had decided not to do the calculations until she had the money in her hand because if she'd learnt anything from those last few weeks it was to never count your eggs before they'd hatched.

Besides, she had far more pressing matters at hand. She was forced to guesstimate how big each dog was. The nine pooches were broken down into different sized models. The rolling pin Lucy was using was a good size for the three Chihuahuas. Whereas she'd used a large honey jar for the two fox terriers. She still had no idea how big the three pug dogs were... or the one bull mastiff. "It is really good timing that you popped by," she said to Alessandro now. "Is this the size of a Chihuahua? I've only ever seen the head of one as it vomited."

"It looks alright," Alessandro said with a tight voice.

"Great! They are all done!" Lucy smiled brightly. "I did it! I managed to make enough money to get my bus fixed and I have some savings to fall back on."

Alessandro sat down heavily on the chair beside her and stared at his shoes in silence.

"What have you been up to since the gala?" Lucy asked chattily. Fake it till you make it. Soon he'll bugger off and I can sit here and miss Daniello in peace.

He didn't reply. Only clutched his head in his hands.

"Oh don't tell me! The buxom brunette hasn't let you breath! This is your first time out of her clawy clutches?"

"No," he spoke finally. Staring at his shoes.

"Are you alright?"

"Not really."

"Have you got that bug that has been going around? Maybe you caught it off that vomiting dog at the party."

"I'm not sick Lucy. I'm hurt."

"Oh no. Did she break up with you already? She seemed quite fond of you when I saw you last."

"You really upset me the other night." Alessandro looked up, his eyes catching hers.

"Me? What did I do? The last I saw of you you were mauling a mere child."

"I thought we had something special going on but apparently we didn't."

"Oh. So you started hitting on a pretty young thing to make me jealous? That is pathetic."

"It isn't like that. I wanted you to see how I live. I thought that maybe if you could see how it is... that you would..."

"Would what?"

"I don't know. Change your mind about my lifestyle. Maybe you'd want to come along for the ride."

"Really?" She tried not to laugh out loud. He'd really failed with that poor attempt. "So you thought that if you spent the last part of the evening ignoring me it would really pique my interest... that I'd just be gagging to be with you?"