Chapter 15

Lucy watched as Daniello switched off in the ignition. "We think he is going to go and find Jane Doe tonight. You know, to check on the body."

"Which house is it?" Lucy pressed her nose up against the windscreen. They were parked up outside a row of tiny white cottages on Arrowtown's main street.

"The one with the peeling white paint..."

"Oh yes!" She nodded. "Quite creepy." It was almost as if the small cottage had watched a cicada shedding its skin and had decided to do the same.

Lucy heard the thump as Daniello released his chair and shot backward. He flexed his legs and gave her a warm smile. "So now to kill time - and stay awake – we talk."

Lucy shuffled in her chair. The two sat quietly for some time.

"This waiting is killing me," she said.

Daniello glanced at his companion. "We only just got here."

"I struggle with claustrophobia."

"And you live in a house bus?"

"I leave the windows open when I'm in the back, but usually, I sit outside and enjoy the fresh air."

"If you want you can wind your window down," Daniello offered.

"Good idea." She started rummaging about.

"What is the matter now?"

"Where do these cars hide their window winders?" After waiting politely for his reply she turned around and found him fiddling with the console in a suspicious manner. "Daniello? Daniello!" Before she could continue her window shot down, cold night air cooled her cheeks. "How did you do that?"

"A button," he said. Lucy could see he was trying not to laugh. "Your ignorance can be so refreshing at times."

She felt her hackles rise. "How so?"

"Every woman I've dated has had a thorough knowledge of electric windows and hotel keycards. But you... you are completely ignorant of basic things."

Her anger rose. So he was back to making her feel stupid?

"You needn't get so defensive. I'm not looking down my nose at you. I'm entranced. I want to hear every single thought you have, I want to see the world through your eyes."

"So you can laugh at me?"

"I'm not as narcissistic as you might believe. There are things you understand that a man should instinctively know... And I don't. You know how much gasoline can keep your bus going for one hundred kilometers and you can take your chimney apart and restack it without breaking a sweat. You put me to shame. I've not taken any interest in my chimney for years... I tend towards calling someone to come and fix it for me."

"But that is ridiculous. You'd spend all of your hard-earned money on something so simple."

"Well, the next time I have chimney trouble I will resist my impulses and I shall google it. Or maybe I could call you."

Lucy was lost for words at his uncharacteristic complimentary speech. She blushed deeply. Moved a little in her seat, and then moved a little more. "Ugh," her voice cut through the uncomfortable silence which had settled over the two after the statement. "I kind of hoped this would be more action packed."

"Who needs action when we have junk food," Daniello scooped a shopping bag from the back seat and dumped it on her lap. "Not organic. Probably not even food... just dust which has been shaped to resemble food groups."