Chapter 18: Suspicion

Börja om från början

"Can I take a shower?" I asked him, choking on my own voice.

"Sure, it's right at that door."

"First or second?

"Second." He said, my heart breaking at the sight of his face. He practically oozed shame. But why? How could he possibly feel shame so strong? Then it hit me. He felt awful that he couldn't do a thing to comfort me. It hurt me to my core to think that I doubted his love.

I walked into the mahogany paneled and ivory-tiled bathroom and ran the luxury shower's tap. I undressed absentmindedly and sighed heavily as relaxing warm sprays of water collided with my skin, calming me.

I took the soap and ran it down my body, not stopping until I was sure I had none of Meghan's blood on me. When I was done I slumped down to the floor and sobbed lightly, not caring about the water that splashed me.

It felt great to cry. To just let it out. But I needed someone to talk to or I was going to go insane. So when I was done crying I got up and ran my hands through my wet hair and stopped the tap. I got out of the clear-glass shower and wrapped a white towel over my wet hair and another on my body.

I stepped into Cap's room, rubbing my bear arms when I saw that he'd left me alone to dress. I smiled warmly at his gentlemen-like behavior and took the fresh clothes lying on the bed.

Must be Christiana's, I thought as I put on the slightly too big sleepwear, complete with a black satin La Perla panty and a pink lace Victoria's Secret bra, which was one size too big.

When I was done dressing Cap knocked on the door, his cute checked pants making me sigh.

"What? I can't pull off checked pants?"

"Hmmm, as far as I'm concerned you could pull off a brown potato bag." I said, wrapping my hands around his neck.

"Not as good as you could," he said.

He inched closer to me and I instantly found myself in a world where only Cap and I existed. My lips molded with his and my body ached with pleasure. I needed him. Slowly we backed until I was on his bed, him leaning into me, me kissing him tenderly.

Reluctantly I could feel him breaking the kiss.

"Chlo, what's wrong?"

"Well, my best enemy's dead."

"Not that. Something else is bothering you. I can see it in your face. Ready to tell me the thing that's been bothering you? The thing that you've been dying to get out but you've been too worried about how it would make me feel, or how it would make you sound."

"How do you know there's something I'm not telling you?" Because there's something you're not telling me?

"I can see it in your face. You look away any time I try and bring it up. And I know it's about me because you looked reluctant when I invited you here. You've been on edge lately and I want to know why. I care for you, Chlo."

I smiled embarrassingly then asked. "Do you know a Jessica Black?" I could see him tensing, his Adam's apple bob and his eyes twitch just a bit.

He let go of me and I flopped on the bed. He frowned lightly then laid next to me. "How do you know about Jessica?"

"I don't want you to be mad..."

"I could never be mad at you."

"Well, last night I had this dream, then today I felt the need to Google you."

"You Googled me?"

"Yeah. I know it's dorky and verging on stalker-like." I mimicked him, his crooked smile - my crooked smile - emerged on his magnificent face. I tried unsuccessfully not to giggle.