Chapter 4

Peeta POV

I wake up early. A little too early for me, but I need some extra time in the bakery today. I have not been there in a few days. I get dressed with Katniss still sleeping. I hate to leave her, but I have to do my job. I get there early enough to make more dough than usual. I can freeze it so it'll last longer. I mix all the ingredients for the bread dough and set it aside to rise. Next I get started on cookie dough. What kind is Katniss' favorite? I want to surprise her. I think she really liked the cookies she had when president Snow came over before the Quarter Quell. I mix the eggs, sugar, flour, and vanilla, and add the final ingredients.

As soon as the cookies are on the cookie sheet, I put them into the oven. Finally. The bread. My favorite thing to bake. Mostly because it reminds me of when I tossed that burnt bread to Katniss when we were younger. Good times.

I separate the dough into two sections. One for regular loaves. One for cheese buns. These are her favorite too. I mix some cheddar and mozzarella cheese into the dough, form it onto little balls, and into the oven they go. Same goes for the regular dough. The cookies are done. I let them cool, then its time to go to work. I frost them with white buttercream icing first. Then I add flowery designs with my piping bag. I use royal icing because it helps the flowers harden and stay on the cookies. Once Im done, they are beautiful. For cookies anyway. All of the bread is done, so I have nothing else to do.

Luckily, a customer walks in. "Hi, how can I help you today sir?"

"Im looking for a wedding cake."

"Ok. How would you like it to look? I do custom designs if you like, or just go with the generic wedding cake?"

"Well Im from district 4, so Ive come a long way. I hear you design the best cakes in all of Panem."

"Thank you."

"If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?"

"Im only 20. My fiancé and I just got engaged yesterday. Its Katniss."

"Well congrats. Can you have the cake done in three days?"

"Sure!"

"Thank you! Ill be over at noon to pick it up. See you then!" He leaves.

I quickly run home to tell Katniss where Ill be the rest of the afternoon. She is still sleeping, so I leave her a note:

"Dear Katniss,

I will be at the bakery all day, designing a wedding cake for a client. Help yourself to some left over pancakes. Love you!

-Peeta "

I get started by making the cake batter. Red velvet. Elegant, and delicious at the same time. Its my favorite flavor. The cakes go in, so I sketch out a design. District 4. This reminds me a lot of...Finnick and Annie. I designed their wedding cake. Finnick died at the hands of the Capitol, while poor Annie is taking care of her now 3 year old son, Finn. This cake will be three tiers, blue frosting, starting dark at the bottom and getting lighter in color as it reaches the top. I put in swirls to make the frosting look like water. I add some fondant fish and starfish to top things off. Finally, I put a couple standing on a sailboat. This reminds me too much of Finnick ans Annie's cake. Almost...too familiar.

I put the cake in the giant fridge so it stays cold all weekend. Then it dawns on me. I have created an exact replica of the cake I made for the star-crossed lovers of district 4. Its almost 6:00 pm, so I race home to make dinner. I open the door to see Katniss fell asleep on the couch. Once again I carry her to the bedroom. I dont mind when I have too. I dont even HAVE to, I just do it out of love.

I start to make dinner. Lamb stew with dried plums and chicken in orange sauce on the side. Katniss loves lamb stew. Dinner is on the table, and I go to wake up Katniss. I almost dont want to disturb her, but dinner is getting cold."Katniss, wake up. Dinners ready." I say softly as I nudge her.

"Yay. Your back. Whats for dinner?" Her voice is still raspy from her nap.

"Lamb stew with dried plums and chicken in orange sauce. For dessert, I made some of those cookies you love!"

"Aw, Peeta. You didnt have to go to all this trouble for me."

"Yes I did. Now come on. Dinners on the table." We walk into the dining room and she stops dead in her tracks, staring at the feadt I prepared for us.

Dinners over. I cant even move I am so full. Katniss too. We retire to the couch snd watch a rerun of Haymitch's Games. I gotta tell you, never watch stuff thats bloody and gory right sfter dinner. We both ended up puking. We were both ok though. Its getting late, and time for bed. But we dont sleep. I kiss Katniss for a long time, passionately. I start to take off my shirt. (Not going into detail!)