chapter twenty-seven

i've decided to start adding songs to my chapters to better depict the mood of the story. have a listen! (oh god im just gonna cringe at that last sentence im sorry im so tired)

Terrible Things - Mayday Parade

No One's Here To Sleep - Naughty Boy feat. Bastille

Eyelids - Pvris

Desert Song - My Chemical Romance

Patrick's P.O.V.

"Let's see- fractured skull, major concussion, potential damage to the frontal lobe, memory loss.... And we'll be watching for any internal bleeding."  

My jaw hit the floor. "Did you say memory loss?"

"Yes."

"How long will it last?"

"No way to tell right now.  It could be weeks, we'll have to give her an MRI scan to discover the damage."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, my stomach contorting itself into knots. "What exactly happened?"

The doctor thumbed through his notes.  "I'm not entirely sure.  She seemed to have fallen and hit her head quite hard, sending her into a state of delirium.  We're keeping her locked down at the moment. She's having trouble distinguishing her terrors from reality.  I haven't seem anything quite like this for a while.  I'm afraid she won't be having any visitors for at least twenty-four hours."

"I understand." The doctor nodded and shook my hand firmly before materializing back into the ICU hallway through the two large metal doors that seemed to stare me down.  Andy, Pete, and even Joe had already left to go back to the hotel we had stopped abruptly at to get some sleep.  

I definitely wouldn't be getting any tonight. 

I had been locked in the waiting room for about eight hours now, living off cheap snacks from the vending machine.  I hardly had an appetite to begin with.  Whenever I shut my eyes, even for a couple of seconds, the image of Melanie sprawled on the floor screaming and hitting me flashes violently behind my eyelids.

She didn't even recognize me. 

She didn't even know who she was or where she was. 

I knew I shouldn't have left her.  I was always skeptical of the idea.  

Of course our fans needed me, but loved ones always come first.  Always.  

I couldn't stand not seeing her, even if she didn't want to see me. 

God, the gut-wrenching fact that she didn't know who I was continued to haunt me for the rest of the night. To make matters worse, she had no idea who she was.  Had she forgotten all the times we spent together?  All the late night jam sessions, laying in bed together until the belated hours of the morning?  

"Mr. Stump, head home," the doctor said, emerging again from the ward. "We'll call you if anything happens."

"I... Okay."  I was skeptical towards the idea of this, though I was beyond exhausted and slightly delirious.  Despite my wanting to stay and wait for Melanie to get better, I turned on my heel and begrudgingly dragged myself towards the exit, dialing Joe's number as I worked my way through the building to let him know I was headed home.

Melanie's P.O.V.

Let me out.... You can't keep me here... 

I moaned in agony, my limbs bound to the bed by thick, chaffing leather.  My throat was sandpaper, my teeth sinking into my tongue for the slightest bit of saliva that could satisfy my parched mouth.  I fought against the leather binding my wrists, my arms straining themselves as I lifted up my arms, muscles quivering.  Then, as if I had never tried, a strong force smacked my wrists, restraining them back onto the surface of the sheets so I cannot move as if I have been scolded. 

I resorted to staring at the ceiling, trapped on my back like a dying bug unable to roll back onto its feet.  I heard a door open softly and close, followed by footsteps approaching the edge of my bed.  

I cried softly as a pair of warm hands freed my wrists and ankles from their uncomfortable prison.  I sat up slowly but surely, examining the red rash on my outer wrist.

"Good morning, ma'am."  The man spoke slowly, his voice bouncing through my hollow mind. 

"H'lo," I said hoarsely, clearing my throat.   He handed me a glass of water, which I washed down greedily while he checked my vitals.  

"I'm going to ask you some questions.  Is that alright?"

"Yes."

He opened a thick binder and flipped through a couple of pages.  "What is the last thing you remember before you... collapsed?"

"Uhm," I swallowed. "Red."

A frown wandered across the doctor's face. "Red?"

"Red..." I repeated softly, rubbing my knuckles together.

Crazy bitch, the voice retorted.

"Shut up!"  I yelled.

The doctor looked quite alarmed. "Who are you talking to?"

"The voices..." I pressed my palms to my ears, hoping I could silence the crude echoes fizzing through my ears, a broken record skipping, skipping, skipping...  

"Stupid!" I screamed, rocking my head back in forth.  I tried to beat the sounds out of my head.  "Stupid!  Stupid!"

I began to lose control of my body.  My foot shot out, knocking a tray of sharp medical instruments to the floor, the sickening clatter alerting all the people outside, and a crowd of concerned patients, visitors, and nurses began to congregate, their eyes screamed of conformity.  They stared at me as if I had sprouted two heads.  

Two strong male nurses marched in and held me down, their nails digging into my wrists, binding me with leather once again.  The doctor, who I had not noticed had left, walked in with a syringe and needle filled with clear fluid.  He walked around to the side of my bed, but I could not see him anymore because the leather strap that ran across my forehead kept me from lifting or turning my head.

"What is that?" I asked stupidly.

"A sedative." 

"No, I can't go to sleep!  I have to stay awake!"  I struggled against the leather bindings.  "Let me out!  LET ME GO!"  

The blinding light above my head began to flicker out slowly.  By the time I was beginning to drift off, I could feel the black eyes imprison me in their piercing gaze.  They accelerated towards me until they were all I could see.  I hadn't seen this black before.  It was different then the deep scarlet mask that had trapped my eyes.  It seemed less promising.  

-

hello friends!!! i apologize, these last few chapters have been rather dark, but i really enjoy writing it!  also, if you enjoy this story, please feel free to check out my frerard fanfiction, to the end.  i update it quite actively like i do this book.  thank you all for reading!  

-liesl