chapter ten

Sorry for the late update! I haven't had much time to write this week, but I hope you enjoy. :) don't forget to vote, comment, and share!

One week later

The week had been beyond hectic. Now that I had obligated to join the tour, it was nothing but rehearsals, recording, and planning the locations for each concert. Luckily, on Monday after, I was able to take a day of leisure to explore the city a little on my own away from everybody.  I promised myself I would try to get out more to avoid last week's events. I didn't even want to think about it.

It was going fine until I got to Hollywood Boulevard.

It was a beautiful area of town, cute shops lining the sidewalks, cobblestone streets, a warm breeze circling the palm trees. I entered a jewelry shop, the interior completely dazzled with shimmering gold and silver, so bright that it made my eyes water. The jewelry was truly breathtaking. I couldn't help but pick up a gold ring with emerald accents, turning it over and over in my palm, the gems glittering under the brightly illuminated lights above me.

"Excuse me..." I spun around on my heel to see a stern looking blond woman with a septum piercing and several tattoos. In other words, she wasn't the kind of person you'd expect to see working in a dainty jewelry shop. "Do you plan on buying that?"

I froze, my words stuck in my throat. She must have gotten the impression that I was a shoplifter! "I.... yes... I was just looking for the price tag..."

The woman held out her palm. "Give it here, I'll scan it for you." I dropped it hesitantly into her hand and followed her to the cash register, the necklaces dangling from her neck jingling as she strutted behind the desk. She pursed her lips, a small beep sounding from the machine as she swiftly scanned the ring. "15.85."

I supposed it wasn't bad for a ring of that beauty. I paid the fee, the woman thanking me and wishing me a good afternoon. I slipped the ring on my finger, holding it up to display as I admired it.

It was close to seven when I finished browsing the shops, dusk already settling in and the hazy gold sun floating above the horizon, distorted from the heat. On the walk back to the subway was when disaster struck.

It began to get dark quickly as I flipped through the map on my phone, the dark street incomparable to the one I had seen during the day. I didn't recognize any of the buildings or the street signs. I was lost.

I buried my nose in my phone, unaware of the dark alleys I was walking past.

"Hey, girl, where you goin'?" My head snapped up as my eyes made contact with the figure emerging from the dark shadows.

"I...."

"What's a girl like you doin' out here?" The guy was tall, with messy beard stubble and a cigarette pinched between his fingers.

I shivered. "I was just on the way home, I just got a little lost, I'm fine..."

"Why don't you come with me? I'll take you home." His lips stretched into into a demented smile as he began to approach me, a cloud of smoke drifting from his nose.

"Uh, no, that's fine, I can get home fine, I'll just call for a taxi..." I fumbled with my phone, tapping in 911, my thumb hovering above the call button.

"Aw, c'mon, babe. I don't bite." A toothy grin later, he reached behind his back, a long, gleaming object slightly visible. A knife.

"Oh my god..." I muttered under my breath, pressing the send button on my phone. I had seen this in the movies. I never would have thought it would happen to me.

"Nine-one-one, what is your emergency?"

"Drop the phone, and I won't hurt ya," he proposed, pointing the blade straight at me.

"Get away from me!" I screamed, ducking around the corner.

"Ma'am?"

"Someone's trying to kill me!" I cried into the speaker. "He- he's got a knife." I kept running as I waited for a response, my lungs screaming, tears crawling down my face as my body shifted into overdrive.

"What is your location?"

"I..." My eyes wildly raked the streets for a sign. Conch street. "Uh, c-conch street. Hollywood Boulevard."

"We will send a patrol car your way immediately-"
I felt my body lurch forward.
My phone went flying from my hands, clattering to the rough pavement. Before I had time to react, I found myself knocked on my back, a knife inches from my face.

"There you are, you bitch."