Fifteen: Lost

***Moon's P. O. V.***.

I catch my breath as we speed away from the training grounds. As the enemy closed in, all I could do was run and take as many trainees and warriors along with me as I could. I was able to get to one of the army-style trucks. Luckily, I know how to operate one. I'm not sure if Joy and Charlie got away too.

"Is Joy back there?! Or Charlie?!" I yell behind my shoulder, trying to focus on the road.

I hear people in back shuffling around, talking in hushed voices. I knit my forehead together as I wait for an answer.

"They're not here, alpha!" the response is.

"Dammit!!!!" I yell, pounding my fist into the steering wheel.

My heart thumps wildly in my chest as I try to think of a plan. My son. My son could be back there! My wolf wants to return to the training camp immediately to protect my cub, but I know I cannot do that. I have other men to take care of too. If I go back now, I'll be killing each and every one of the warriors in back. I hear the groans of the few injured men. It snaps me out of my frenzied daze.

"How are they holding up?" I ask, swerving to the side to avoid hitting an obstacle in the road.

"Uh, not too well, sir," someone replies. "We need to get them to hospital immediately."

I nod grimly. We're in the middle of nowhere. They may not make it. All I can do now is try to locate the nearest hospital, then have the rest of us lifted back to pack territory. The injured can come with when they're stable.

Tears come to my eyes as I realize what I've done. My son is back there. And my other son's mate. I ran away like a coward. They're back there, probably dead or captured. How am I gonna face the people back home?

***Crescent's P. O. V.***

I change the channel on the TV during commercials. I hate commercials. They're such a waste of time. I feel myself drifting off to sleep when my phone starts ringing. At first I feel annoyed, but then I realize that it might be Moon! I rush to answer it. I look at my caller ID and see that it is, in fact, Moon!

"Hi, babe!" I answer.

"Um, hey," he says, gulping.

"What's up?" I ask in a more serious tone.

"Uh, Crescent. . . S-something happened," he says, his voice cracking.

"Are you okay?"

"No, I'm not. I'm sorry," he chokes. "I'm so sorry!"

"Moon, what are you talking about? What happened?!" I ask desperately, getting extremely worried.

"We got attacked, Crescent. I-it was horrible. I d-don't know how they found us. Someone b-betrayed us."

"Is everyone alright? Where's Joy and Charlie? Can I talk to them?!" I ask, clasping the phone tightly with both hands.

"Y-you can't. They're not with me," he says as he cries.

"What do you mean? Are they in another room?! Moon, where are they?!" I yell, sinking to the floor as my emotions overwhelm me.

"Th-they didn't make it out. They w-were captured. They're not dead. My wolf can sense it. My connection w-with them is w-weak, but I can just b-barely sense that they're alive."