Six: What Now?

Ohanzee  inspired a part of this chapter. :) Thanks, love.

***Nathan's P. O. V.***.

Neither I nor Charlie know what to do about being mates. What will everyone say considering we're siblings? Will our dads be mad? I just don't know. We decide to do nothing at the moment. Besides, it isn't recommend to start the mating process until the age of sixteen. Not all mates go by that rule, but I'd say the majority do.

Eventually, Ella shifts into her wolf form too. Her fur is soft looking and it's a deep chocolate color. When she shifts, it happens with little incident. She scratches some of the furniture, but she has it under control for the most part. It makes me even more upset that I was so out of control when I shifted last time.

***Charlie's P. O. V.***

I can't believe that Nathan and I are mates. It doesn't matter to me that we're siblings, I'm just worried that we'll suffer judgement from other wolves. And how will we have kids? I guess we won't be able to. . .

I stay in bed for the most part while I recover from my head injury. I have to stay in a dark, quiet room, so I can't be around my siblings much. It's actually a nice break. Of course Nathan comes in all the time to cuddle with me and drop off more school work I'll have to catch up on. I let it build up on my desk. I'll get to it later.

~~~A Few Weeks Later~~~

The day comes when Nathan shifts again. Thankfully, he's outside in the pool this time. I'm in my room doing schoolwork, so I only see it from my window. He runs away and doesn't come back for hours. I'm in bed by the time he returns.

"Nathan?" I call our sleepily as I hear him rummage through his drawers.

"S-sorry. Just go back to bed," he says nervously.

"Are you alright?" I ask. "You were gone for an awfully long time."

"Um, I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

I hear him sniff quietly. I sit up and then my bedside lamp on. He's sitting on the floor in his purple pajamas, his hands covering his head. I go over to him and put a hand in his shoulder.

"Don't say anything," he whispers. "I guess I'll just show you."

He slowly moves his hands away from his head. My eyes widen, and I hold back the urge to gasp.

"Why aren't they going away?" he asks, tears in his eyes.

Two big puppy ears are sticking out of his pretty hair. One of them twitches and he goes to scratch it.

"Wow," I whisper, reaching out to touch one.

They're incredibly soft. The hair isn't very thick, so I can see patches of pink skin through the white fur. It feels like the belly of a kitten.

"Hey, don't get upset," I say as I give Nathan a quick hug. "There's probably a reason why they're not going away. Let's look it up on the WolfNet."

I take out the laptop we share. It still hurts my head a little to look at a screen for too long, so I'll try to make this as quick as possible. I type in "what do to if i shift and my ears don't disappear" into the search bar. I didn't know how to word it exactly, but oh well. Some suggestions pop up. I pull my brother close, and he slides down until his head is in my lap. I pet his ears gently.

"Look, Nathan, I found something," I say, pointing at the laptop screen. "It says that although rare, some young wolves suffer from wolf parts staying when they shift back to human form. Some wolves outgrow this, but some live with it forever. A few sprays of a mist potion should protect you from humans seeing anything unusual, but a hat is recommended as well. See, you might grow out of it! It's not such a big deal."