TEN DAYS IN TULUM

There is a two-story villa nestled neatly inside a jungle biosphere in an environmentally conscious resort community named after the Myan Sun God, Kin Ahau... and Erica and I have reserved a room on the top floor.

Every morning I wake in a treehouse dream; soaring Palapa vaulted ceilings allow for the most incredible views of the turquoise Caribbean and the only thing separating me and the ocean is a hammock, which becomes my bed on more than one occasion, slung across a porch overlooking the white sand beach. Tulum is as close to home as I'm going to get for now, but it's no O'ahu.

Erica is a Production Assistant for Warner Brother's but tends the bar at Chateau for the tips. Ana was right when she thought we'd hit it off, we became quick friends through phone calls and emails, and when she was asked to be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding in Tulum, she asked me to be her date.

The wedding party is expected to be here for four days, all expenses paid, but we splurged on additional time to make it a full week and a half. We know that once the guests begin to arrive, it will be madness, so we visit the ruins, go scuba diving at Cenotes Dos Ojos, take a wildlife tour, and explore caves all before the rest of our party arrive.

On our third day, we take a beautiful, early morning walk to a hut for sunrise meditation. The ocean is visible on three of the four sides and when the Sun rises over the horizon, I swear I hear him take a long inhale. My mind rises to meet the higher vibration and I wonder if perhaps we are living in that sacred moment between the Sun's breaths. I ponder the idea briefly before I'm pulled away to our daily yoga class. A hazy morning rainbow that makes me miss Raven accompanies us on this walk.

We spend our day at the resort and have a late lunch on site. Adirondack chairs surround an unstable small table that is perfect for the tropical garden setting, but impractical for enjoying a meal.

I dig my feet deeper into the warm sand when Erica mentions two other guests have also checked in early and directs my attention to the deck beside the bar.

It is Jax and Logan!

"Lila, I swear Logan keeps looking at you," Erica says, giving me the 'don't look now' face.

My sunglasses shield my stalking eyes as I peer in Logan's direction, "I don't think so," I try to convince Erica... and myself, there's no way she would remember me. Would she?

"She's walking this way," Erica squeals and turns in her chair, pretending not to notice as one of the most popular actors of all time approaches our table.

"Palila, right?"

WHAT, she remembers my name?!?!

My third acting gig goes down in Tulum and I give her a performance Ana would be proud of, "Hey Logan, how have you been?"

"Honey, it IS her!" she shouts back at Jax. "You guys come join us, we just ordered pretty much one of everything on the menu."

Without a second thought, Erica and I grab our drinks, shake the sand from our feet, and move over to their larger, sturdier table.

"So, it is you?" Jax stands when we approach, sitting back down after we take our seats. Chivalry is a behavior I imagine most people wouldn't expect from someone who looks like him. Jax is a stark contrast to Logan, he is walled in tattoos and paints his nails black to match his wardrobe, while she looks exactly as everyone would like; youthful, well put together, the epitome of wholesome. I appreciate the contradiction of the two of them together.

One dish after another is brought to our table as delicious seaside scents hang heavy in the late afternoon air, I'm starving... but too anxious to eat.