EPOCH

I am feeling raw and alive and completely exposed to the world but I am flying high from the adrenaline rush. It makes sense now why adventure seekers flock to places like this; to walk that vibrant and reckless fine line between life and death. I never want to do it again, but I am grateful for the opportunity to experience this place as it is meant and for this June night where I believe we can all agree we saw God.

"Skyler, my friend," Micah has Skyler in a headlock, "for the last three hours, I have been plotting your murder."

    Skyler lets out a nervous laugh and doesn't fight back.

    "But I got to tell you, man... thank you!" Micah releases him. "That is something I will never forget. Not even if I try."

"Dude, you said it would be a forty-five-minute drive up," Caleb approaches wanting answers.

"The drive up to the canyon entrance. Once inside you are looking at about another hour to get out."

"Try THREE!"

"Three? Were you driving like five miles an hour?"

"Yes. Yes, I was as a matter of fact. Note that we are obviously still alive," Caleb steps back, waving his hand at us as if producing exhibit A in his case, "No thanks to you."

Skyler anxiously scans the group of us who are staring back at him.

Eli breaks the silence with laughter and we all follow.

I witness a wave of relief wash over Skyler and he directs our attention to the orange glow rising up and out into the open desert just behind our tent.

    A small barely beaten path leads us to a bonfire where an assortment of people have gathered and greet us with warm welcomes.

Two French brothers strike up a conversation with Kole and Eli while their wives talk to Caleb. I've noticed in my short time with them that older women seem to really love Caleb... and he doesn't seem to mind.

    Micah sits next to a bag of marshmallows lying on a log.

"For everyone," one of the French men gestures in our direction as he speaks up in his best English.

Micah takes a puffy cloud from the bag and probes it with the stick. He holds the marshmallow over the flame until it catches fire, then, very slowly, almost seductively, he looks at me and blows it out.

    He holds it up for me and I take a bite, the sticky melted bits adhere to my bottom lip and I quickly pull it into my mouth before he notices.

    He places the other half in his mouth, puts the stick down, and leans back on the log lying behind us. When he turns to look at me a hundred gentle fires bloom beneath my skin.

    Before he can speak, I tap the corner of my mouth, "You have marshmallow on your lip."

"Lick it off," he jokes... at least I think he's joking. Either way, the comment catches me off guard but not as much as his actions when he moves in closer. Is he serious?

    Calling his bluff, I lean in and part my lips slightly, he edges nearer, turning the marshmallow-covered corner of his mouth closer to mine... I raise my right hand and with my thumb, I wipe it from his face.

    Proud of myself for landing the tease without flaw, I rest my back against the log and look towards the fire.

Frozen in his position, he nods his head sucking his teeth, "That was mean."

I smirk, watching the flames perform my victory dance. I'm ready to play his game.

"Guys, you are never going to believe this!," Caleb appears in the distance and runs over, nearly sliding into position on the ground before us, his back closer to the fire than I am comfortable with.