25. What did you do. Stop for Coffee??

I jogged all the way to Lord Elrond's house, pausing only to glance at a sundial. It was almost nine-thirty.

When I reached the House of Elrond, I went to a building situated just off the main building—his personal healing room. It was open and airy, much cheerier and better furnished than the healing room I'd gotten. And that was where I found Lord Elrond. He was seated in an armchair beside the bed, his face resting in his hands. In the bed was a small blanket-covered Hobbit, his chest rising and falling just visibly enough to ease my worries. I hesitated outside the doorway, afraid to interrupt Lord Elrond if he was still actively healing Frodo.

"You may enter, Amariel," he said wearily, not looking up. "I am resting."

I padded into the room and moved to stand beside Lord Elrond, gazing down at Frodo. His dark curls were clumpy with sweat, and his skin was pallid. Though he slept, his expression was contorted with pain.

"Will he be okay?" I whispered.

Elrond sighed and straightened in his seat. "His wound is not fatal."

"But will he be okay?" I pressed.

The ellon met my gaze with tired eyes. "How is the other Hobbit? Samwise?"

I scowled at Elrond's dodge, but, perhaps he did not know the answer. "I'm assuming you mean the one I found outside my room. He's worried sick."

Elrond gave a small smile. "Their friendship is strong," he mused. He glanced at me. "You would do well with such a friendship."

I snorted. "With who?" I seated myself on the bed beside Frodo, careful not to wake him. "It's not like I have any female friends. Or male friends, for that matter."

Lord Elrond gazed at me, into me, for a long moment. His stoic expression sank, betraying sadness. "Go to the courtyard, Amariel. Gandalf will have arrived by then. I have a bit more to do with Frodo."

I bit my lip. I was missing his blunt answers with their direct meanings. Even if they were insulting, at least it was a frontal attack. This...I couldn't guard myself against this.

"Go," he urged.

I stood and left the healing room without another word. Wondering what in Mordor had just happened, I made my way down to the very bottom of Rivendell, where the front gate was. Just as I reached the bottom stairs, a very sweaty horse cantered through the gates, carrying a gray-clad wizard with a pointy hat.

I hung back until Gandalf had dismounted and the stable ellon had taken his horse. Then I strode forward and intercepted him. I was going to demand what took him so long, demand my payment, and flounce out of Rivendell with the airs of a princess, but all that came out was, "Took you long enough."

Gandalf gave a halfhearted chuckle. "My apologies, Amariel. I was det—"

I whirled and pointed a finger at his face. "My. Name. Is. Eda."

Gandalf remained silent and did nothing. Long seconds passed, and I awkwardly let my hand drop. His steely gray eyes drilled into me, and at length he said, "You have changed."

"For the better, I would hope," I replied, wishing my voice would sound confident. It didn't.

"Perhaps," Gandalf said quietly, his eyes filled with compassion. "Perhaps not."

I scowled. I didn't need his pity.

Gandalf cleared his throat. "I owe you some money, don't I?" He searched his robe for a long moment, frowned, and kept searching. He finally came up with three loose copper coins. "I...I believe I may've miscalculated the cost of my travels of late," he said, handing me the coins. "But, I assure you, I will pay you the rest of what I owe as soon as I am able."

"Gandalf," I sighed, pressing the coins back into his palm. "Keep this. You've been generous enough already." My eyes, for some reason, chose to water just then. I'd stayed in Rivendell for freaking two weeks, waiting for Gandalf. Now that he'd come, not only did he not bring what he'd promised, but I'd also let him off the hook. And look where I'd gotten myself in the meanwhile.

"Excuse me," I murmured, turning to go.

Gandalf caught my arm. "May I speak with you for a moment longer?"

I stopped walking and bit my lip. Did I have any choice? Probably not. So I swallowed back the tears and took a deep breath. "If you like."

He led me to a gazebo decorating the center of the courtyard, and we sat down on the bench inside. "Last time I visited, Lord Elrond spoke of you." Gandalf's eyes pierced mine. "He said he'd seen your future."

"Yeah, he told me," I said, looking away.

"Did he?" Gandalf's voice was disbelieving.

"Well, he told me he'd seen it. He didn't say what it was."

"He has seen many paths," Gandalf corrected. "And he is having trouble discerning which is the one you will take."

"Oh," I replied. I didn't have the will to say much else.

Gandalf was quiet for a long moment, then he said, "You are a wanted woman."

I snorted. "Yes, well..."

"Most of all by Saruman."

My head whipped around to face Gandalf. "How do you know this?"

Gandalf gave a sad chuckle, then sighed. "How else would he come by a Palantìr without dirtying his hands?"

The memory sent chills down my spine, covering my skin with goose bumps. I wrapped my arms around myself, closing my eyes.

"You knew he was evil," Gandalf said, his tone disapproving. "Why would you assist him?"

"I was dying, Gandalf!" I cried. "I was starving to death, and he offered me warm food and money for my travels, asking only one thing in return." I met the gray wizard's gaze. "He saved my life."

"He seeks to end it, now," Gandalf replied solemnly. "All across Middle Earth, he sends Crebain to search for you."

"And if they find me?"

"He will send his orcs. And they will kill you."

I frowned, worry gnawing at my mind. Suddenly, a bird squawked overhead. I spooked, but it was only a cardinal.

Gandalf chuckled. "You are safe here. Which is why you must stay here for the foreseeable future."

I scowled. "How long is the foreseeable future?"

"That depends on who you ask," Gandalf replied, his eyes full of mirth.

I grimaced, scowling at the wizard. "Funny."

"Yes, I thought so." Gandalf patted my shoulder. "Well, I have a Hobbit waiting for me. Where is he?"

"Bilbo?" I asked. "If he's not in the gardens, try the upper level of rooms."

"No, no, no, I meant Frodo," Gandalf said, his eyes growing worried.

"Oh, Frodo." I bit my lip. "He's in the House of Elrond. He was...hurt. On the way here. Or that's what Samwise said."

Gandalf's eyes widened, and he leapt to his feet. "If you'll excuse me, Amariel."

"So help me, Gandalf, if you call me that again...!" I hesitated, and he paused to listen. "I'll burn your stupid hat," I said finally.

He gave me a strained smile. "And rest assured, Amariel, if you threaten me again, I will turn you into a toadstool." And with that, he strode away.