41. Truth Comes Out

When I awoke, Gandalf was awake, and the Hobbits were asleep. Aragorn and Legolas were seated near the fireplace also, Legolas quietly dribbling some water from his canteen onto his fingers and working the spots of blood out of his hair.

I sighed and sat up, rubbing my eyes. Gandalf had left his hat under my head as a pillow, and I gave a tired smile. Perhaps I wouldn't burn it, after all.

Gimli sat on the opposite side of the fireplace, smoking his pipe. Using the mouthpiece to point at Legolas, he gave a chortle and said, "Do ye know how to kill an Elf, Eda?"

The question caught me a bit off guard. The others each gave Gimli strange looks, save the sleeping Hobbits.

"I, umm..." How does one say yes without saying yes?

"Why, it's simple, lassie! Ye simply secure a mirror at the bottom of an ocean!" He guffawed at his own cleverness. Boromir gave a quiet chuckle, but otherwise, the joke fell flat.

"And you, Gimli," I said, cocking my head to one side. "Do you know how to drive a Dwarf mad?"

He glanced away, his smile waning. "I, erm...I cannot say that I do, lass."

I grinned. "You dangle a gold coin out of his reach."

This incited a scoff from Gandalf, chuckles from Boromir and Aragorn, and an outright laugh from Legolas. My heart swelled. Aww, Eru, did everything about him have to be perfect?!

Gimli's face flushed to the color of his beard. "That is hardly an appropriate joke for a Dwarf lady!"

"Dwarf lady!" exclaimed Boromir and Legolas in unison.

Mordor. This wasn't headed in a good direction.

"You are mistaken, Master Gimli," Boromir said, chuckling once more. "Eda is clearly human."

"I must concede with Boromir," Legolas added. "She is no elleth, but she's hardly ugly enough to be a Dwarf."

Gandalf chuckled quietly, but didn't say anything.

"Not all Dwarf women can grow beards," Gimli said, rolling his eyes. "Besides. How can ye justify her height if she isn't a Dwarf?"

Boromir crossed his arms, leaning against the door he was guarding. "Not all humans are tall," he replied matter-of-factly. "In fact, I've met a number of people Eda's height. A couple of them men. It's not uncommon."

Gimli scoffed. "Oh, come now. Did ye not see Eda's head butt, before she'd yet joined the fellowship? No human could make such a performance without knocking themselves out cold."

Boromir hesitated.

Gimli pressed his advantage. "Her skull must be very thick. And her bone structure is magnificent, indeed! Not as hardy as most Dwarves', I'll grant you, but grand nonetheless."

"If you know so much about her," Boromir said smugly, "then tell me: where does she hail from?"

I flinched.

Aragorn met my gaze, a mildly amused smile on his face, but also sadness. He knew about my little habit with lies. He also knew the truth. Which put me in a very awkward position.

"From these very halls!" Gimli exclaimed. Then, slowly, he turned to me. "Why did ye say nothing of Moria's condition? Why did ye not turn us away while ye had the chance?"

All eyes turned to me. Gandalf raised a silver eyebrow at this new fabrication.

I swallowed hard. "Gimli—I lied. I've never been here in my life."