83. Naughty Dwarves are Disciplined.

I choked on air. "Husband?"

"Aye, lasseh, the letter yeh sent! Two days ago, have yeh no memory?"

I turned to face the Court. "Who sent a letter without my permission?"

All eyes turned to Dwalin, until he quietly nodded his admission. "Aye, it was me."

I stood and looked back at Dàin. "I am sorry that you have come all this way for nothing. But I never agreed to a marriage alliance, and I will not agree to one now. However, you are most welcome to stay for Dwalin's public apology and punishment. In fact, I highly encourage it."

Dwalin didn't say anything, just looked at the floor. The other Dwarves were staring at me, openmouthed.

I looked at Bifur and Bofur. "Take him to the dungeons." To Gloin, I said, "I want you to spread the word in Dale. There will be a punishment at the gate this afternoon, and people are strongly encouraged to watch."

The three mumbled hurried agreements and jumped up to fulfill their tasks.

I looked at Dwalin, meeting his steady, unrelenting gaze, and I shrugged. "A few hours in the dungeons will do anyone a world of good," I said quietly.

"It seems the tables have turned," Dwalin replied, just as quietly. "You never struck me as one that would seek revenge."

"This is not revenge, Dwalin," I whispered. "This is politics. And making decisions for me is not the best idea, especially something like this!" I took a deep breath, calming myself down.

"It's for the best," Dwalin hissed. "We need allies."

I looked at Bifur and Bofur, standing a respectful distance away, but clearly ready. "Take him," I said, backing a step.

They each laid a hand on one of Dwalin's arms, and Bifur said, "Come on, don't make it worse for yourself."

Dwalin reluctantly walked out of the dining hall with his guards, leaving me with the seven remaining members of the Council, and Dàin Ironfoot, and Thorin Cottonballs. I mean Stonehelm.

I took my seat once more and flashed them a tight-lipped smile. "If you haven't already eaten, you're welcome to join us."

"Well, we et breakfast, but that was a few hours ago, so I reckon we'll just join yeh. U-huh huh!" Dàin bellowed out a hearty laugh as he clomped over and sat down in Bifur's seat, on my left. Thorin sat down in Dwalin's seat, next to Larika.

"I'm Thorin," the would-have-been-king said to Larika in a soft tone. "What's your name?"

She gave him a shallow smile that didn't quite cover her expression of distress. "Larika," she answered, just as softly. I smiled a little and glanced at Dàin. Cue the smile to drop. He was biting into a chicken thigh with an appatite voracious enough to compete with a cow.

I sighed and closed my eyes, wishing I were somewhere else.

Legolas...

* * *

When we finally reached my bedroom once again, I gave a long, loud groan and dropped onto the bed. "That was humiliating!" I exclaimed, mostly to the ceiling and partially to Larika.

"I know," Larika answered sympathetically. "They should have at least told you before Thorin and his dad arrived."

"No they shouldn't, they should have never told them to come in the first place!" I practically wailed. "Marriage alliance, pfft! As if I'd agree to that!"

Larika sat down beside me and rubbed my arm sympathetically. "That does seem awfully sudden," she said quietly. "But...I don't know, Thorin seems nice enough. You can't expect arranged marriages to be perfect, and even regular marriages are prone to struggle."