17. In and Out

"Hold the bow in your left hand, and pull the string back with your right," Elladan said, handing me the weapon. My fingers curled around the finely-carved wood uncertainly. At my hesitation, he sighed. "Well, go on."

I raised the bow so that it pointed downrange. Then I tugged at the bowstring. It refused to budge. I pulled again, with the same results. Hiding the flush crawling up my neck, I hauled back on the string, hardly causing the bow to bend at all.

Elladan hid a smirk, then placed his hands over mine, reaching over me just as much around me. With his added strength, the string came back easily. "Now," he murmured, his breath stirring my hair. "Imagine an arrow running from your fingertips and pointing at the target."

The visual I got instead was a bit different. It was of the handsome ellon standing directly behind me, whispering in my ear. Excited chills ran down my spine.

I was jolted from my daydream when he returned the string to its resting position, it pulling my own hand along. Elladan reached behind him, and a moment later brought an arrow to the string. His hand cupped mine as he positioned the arrow, and his fingers laced between mine as he pulled the string back once more.

"Close your left eye," he instructed, "then sight down the length of the arrow and look at the very center of the target."

I obeyed. I could already feel the success of the shot, somewhere deep in my chest.

A sudden exhale from Elladan brushed against my ear, tickling it. I flinched, just as he released the arrow.

Twang!

The arrow flew across the room diagonally, finally sinking into the target's wooden stand at the far end of the arena. About fifty Elves turned to look at us. I slipped out from between Elladan's arms and to the side, leaving him to hold the bow alone. To receive their amused attention alone.

Elladan sighed and shot me a slightly irritated glance. "That will take me about three decades to live down, you know."

"I know," I said with a grin. "But, three decades is a lot longer to me than it is to you."

He rolled his eyes, then in one fluid motion, he took an arrow from his quiver, set it to the string, drew back, and fired. It split the last arrow in half, but did nothing to wipe the smirks off the other ellons' faces.

"Come back tomorrow morning," Elladan said, not looking at me. "You sorely need the practice."

I gave a flippant curtsy. "Indeed I do, m'lord." Turning away, I gathered my things and left the training arena, aware of the gazes following me out of sight.

As the front gate came into view, a tall figure in a pointed gray hat grasped the hand of Lord Elrond in a farewell and swung aboard a gray horse. The horse spun on its haunches and bolted toward the gate.

"Wait!" I cried, running toward the gate.

Elrond held his hand up. "Do not attempt to stop him. Mithrandir must return to the Shire with haste."

My shoulders drooped. "He was supposed to pay me," I mumbled.

"He shall return," Elrond said gently, placing his hand on my head. I was short enough that the shoulder wouldn't work so well. "In the meanwhile, is my eldest son and heir not enough entertainment for you?" Elrond raised an eyebrow disapprovingly.

I frowned. How was I supposed to answer that? I settled on a tactic that usually works pretty well for me. "It was his fault. He came into my chambers."

Elrond sighed. "Come. I had something made for you."

"What?" I asked.

"Come and see," he replied.

I followed him to the seamstress's shop, where he led me in. The grouchy old elleth was nowhere to be seen, but Elrond strode over to the orders were to be picked up, and selected a certain one. Coming back to me, he said, "Here you are."

At his encouraging glance, I tore open the package. Black material slipped easily across my fingertips as I unfolded it. A black sweater. Another folded item fell out, and when I moved to pick it up, it separated again, revealing black trousers, black gloves, a black hood, and a black mask.

An amused smile played about Elrond's lips—probably because of the awestruck and delighted expression that was doubtless plastered across my face. "I had some new shoes prepared for you, as well, fashioned after the design of your old shoes."

I threw my arms around the old ellon's waist. "Thank you thank you thank you!"

"I know, I am too generous," he said, sighing and patting my back.

"No you aren't," I protested. "Every one of your gifts are completely necessary. You just give them ahead of time." I winked up at him.

He rolled his eyes. "Just bear in mind that this is not considered modest apparel for a young woman such as yourself. And please, don't hurt anyone."

"I won't," I murmured, picking up the outfit and examining the fine make. "At least," I shot him a mischievous grin, "not permanently."