Chapter 29

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

-------------------------------------------------------

I spent the rest of this week's potions lessons glaring at father, and I swear he looked merely amused. The house cup would be awarded by the end of this week, which just happened to be tonight. It's no surprise who won. Though the Gryffindors no longer blamed us, I still felt guilty. Ron, however was reliving the story of the events of the dungeon to everyone who asked.

I was not at all excited for this summer. Stuck with father for the whole 2 months and not being able to see Harry or visit my friends. I spent most of my days with Luna, listening to her talk, because I could think silently, and she would just keep talking. "-and then it turned gray, and-"

"Hey Luna, d'you think your dad would let you visit me during the summer?" I asked hopefully. Luna frowned.

"But don't you live with Professor Snape?" I sighed.

"And that's why I have no friends." I said gloomily.

"Hey! You've finally noticed!" I gritted my teeth and turned around. Draco Malfoy and his cronies were approaching me.

"What do you want." I deadpanned. Draco smirked.

"I don't like your tone."

"And I don't like your face, so I guess we're both out of luck." I stared him down.

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood tonight. I guess Gryffindor will never know how it feels to get the House Cup." He sneered. I stared at him blankly.

"So? I guess a Malfoy will never know how it feels to not be a snitch and a dirty rotten rat!"

"Cindy Potter!" I turned my head back. Great. Just great. Father just always had to poke his nose in my business. "Watch your words."

"You know he started it." I stated plainly. "Detention. My office." Malfoy smirked. "As for you four, Mr. Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Miss Lovegood can return to your common rooms before the ceremony." After they had left I turned to father.

"You aren't even going to ask for my side of the story?" I asked incredulously.

"I heard Malfoy insult you."

"Then why the bloody hell do I have detention?!"

"Language!" He glared. "And if you would listen, that was just an excuse. I need you in my office."

"Oh."

"Be there after dinner." He turned to leave.

~~~~

"I don't want to be here." Upon entering the Great Hall, I was instantly annoyed with all the green Slytherin banners in my face. If it wasn't for Voldemort, we would've won. Of course defeating him was more important, but I despised that smug look glued to Draco Malfoy's face.

Clink. Clink. Clink.

Everyone fell silent as Professor Dumbledore stood up. "Another year has gone by. We have Gryffindor in fourth place, with 262 points," there was a dull murmuring and faint clapping.  "In second place, Hufflepuff, with 352 points in third place, Ravenclaw, with 426 points," we clapped politely. "And in first place, Slytherin, with 472 points." We heard yelling from the Slytherin table. The rest of the Houses had stopped clapping by now.

"Yes, well done Slytherin, well done, however-" We all turned to stare at Professor Dumbledore. "Recent events must be taken into account. I have some some last minute points to award." Everyone suddenly sat up straighter. "First! To Miss Hermione Granger, for her wisdom and intellect, and remaining calm when her friends were in great peril, 50 points." We all smiled and clapped Hermione on the back. "Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen in many, many years, 50 points!" We all clapped and cheered loudly. "Third, to Mr Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, 60 points!" We screamed and cheered, everyone noticed we were catching up to the Slytherins-including the Slytherins. "Fourth, to Miss Cindy Potter," I looked up in surprise, "it is difficult to determine where your loyalties lie at  dark times. It takes great courage to do what is right, knowing you may find secrets, betrayal on the way, 50 points." I smiled tears of joy. We were tied with Slytherin. I knew Father had told Professor Dumbledore the whole story.

"We're tied with Slytherin!" Hermione whispered excitedly.

"And finally!" Everyone looked back up. "It takes great courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends. And for that, I award ten points, to Mr Neville Longbottom! Now if my calculations are correct, a change of decorations are in order." Professor Dumbledore raised his arms and the green banners flashed, changing to a brilliant Gryffindor red. "Gryffindor wins the house cup!" Everyone stood up, cheering and screaming loudly, even the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws, who were happy to see the Slytherins lose. The Slytherin table had gone completely quiet, yet went unnoticed by the rest of the houses. We all tried to pat Neville on the back at once. Everyone at the table stood up and tossed their hats in the air, screaming with joy. This was definitely the highlight of my year. I glanced at Father who flashed me a rare, small smile.

Eventually, we all settled down for a delicious feast. Halfway through, I noticed Father walking off to the dungeons. I quickly excused myself and ran after him. I raced through the dungeons, still full of excitement from the house cup awarding ceremony. Professor McGonagall personally told us how proud she was. I arrived at Father's office, and knocked 3 times.

-------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, had to cut this chapter in half. Truth is, I was working at an election, we were crazy busy.

Lots of love,
Lily