Chapter 5

Venus POV

This was not how today was supposed to go. I had no intention to find my mate today. Most she-wolves would be ecstatic to find their mates. I, however, felt quite the opposite. Meeting him could change everything and I wasn't so sure that I would be ready for that.

My eyes followed him as his friend moved him to a seat near the front of the room. As much as I was skeptical about all this mate stuff, my wolf loved it. She whimpered at him sitting so far away from us. There was even a slight urge in me to push Harvey out of his seat so I could have my mate next to me.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I needed to focus if I wanted to keep my composure around him. I couldn't have him distracting me during class.

Harvey kept chattering in my ear as if nothing had happened. He couldn't feel the connection between me and my mate the way I could.

Once Mr. Hannigan walked in, Harvey stopped his talking. Mr. Hannigan was a middle aged man with glasses and a receding hairline. He looked friendly enough now that he was in a good mood, but I could tell by the way he furrowed his eyebrows at a few empty seats that any little thing could set him off.

"Where's Miss Griffin?" He asked.

I raised my hand hesitantly, not expecting to be called out like this.

"Welcome to our school. We'll be discussing colonial times this week and though you may not have been here before, I expect you to get caught up with this chapter. I can get you a textbook tomorrow but for now you'll have to follow along with Mr. Thompson in his book."

"Ok."

Harvey apparently had nothing against sharing his book with me as he scooted his desk even closer to mine. Mr. Hannigan began introducing the lesson but I trained my eyes on the pages in front of me. It was the only way to avoid the glares coming from my mate.

It seemed like a blessing when the class was finally over. In hopes to evade my mate I rushed out of the room. Unfortunately, he managed to catch up to me in the halls anyway.

"What were you doing sitting next to Harvey?" Was the first thing out of his mouth. One look into his cyan eyes and I knew that he was pissed.

"That's not any of your business."

"Actually, it is."

I had no desire for a mate before and his possessiveness was doing nothing to change my mind. Knowing he wouldn't let this go, I gave him an answer.

"We met in the hallway before class. He offered to show me the way."

"I don't want you around him anymore." He told me.

"I don't care what you want."

"You should. I'm your mate."

"I don't want a mate." My words clearly had him taken aback. I took that chance to move past him and on to my next class.

I had gone relatively unnoticed earlier this morning despite being the new girl. Now it seemed as if I was on everyone's radar. They must've started looking because of what my mate had said. I didn't see why it was such a big deal. Wolves found their mates all the time.

Most of the seats in the back row of my math class were taken so I sat in one of the desks that was near the front and against a wall. I enjoyed being on the outer edges so I wouldn't have people at each of my sides.

I opened my notebook and began to doodle before someone sat next to me.

"So you're Hunter's mate?" Said a short girl with curly red hair.

"How do you know that?" My mate had never told me his name, but this girl had to have been talking about the same guy who had stopped me in the hall.

"Word travels fast around here."

"People need to learn how to mind their own damn business." I grumbled.

She chuckled and agreed with me. "That is true but when they hear the future alpha declare who is mate is, they're not going to keep quiet about it."

I would've replied by saying that it shouldn't matter who did what until one thing she mentioned stopped me in my tracks.

"Future what?"

"Hunter is the future alpha of this pack. I'm sorry, I thought you already knew."

"I'm a rogue, how was I supposed to know?"

"Well, he is your mate."

"I don't have much interest in mates."

"Why not?" She said it with innocence but I couldn't take her prying anymore. Even if she was a sweet girl, she was way too nosy for her own good.

"Who are you anyway?"

"My name's Sheila. I'm mated to Jason, the future beta. He's best friends with Hunter, so I actually know Hunter really well."  She explained.

I just nodded to keep myself from saying something I'd regret later. I didn't want to care but hearing that she knew Hunter well sent unwelcome feelings of jealousy coursing through my body.

"You really aren't that excited to have the future alpha as your mate, are you?" She asked.

I left her question unanswered as our math teacher started writing out equations on the board.

I hadn't wanted a mate in the first place. If finding my mate wasn't bad enough, him being the son of an alpha only made this whole situation ten times worse. I couldn't become the luna here.

"Just give him a chance. I think he deserves that much. Doesn't he?" She whispered. 

"I don't even know the guy. He hasn't proved to me that he deserves anything." I told her.

"Then you should try to get to know him before you judge him."

There was no point in arguing with her. She didn't understand that I didn't want a mate and I wasn't going to waste my breath trying to explain it to her. She was too happy from her perfect relationship with the beta to realize that not everyone was meant for a relationship.

We didn't talk the rest of our math class. I had made it pretty clear that her advice was unwelcome.

My eventful morning turned dull as I went to my next few classes. No one cared that I was there and no one tried talking to me. It was a comforting feeling to be invisible once again.

I stopped at my locker to drop off some books before lunch when I noticed Harvey standing nearby. I hadn't realized earlier that the only reason he was by me this morning was because his locker was three down from mine.

We hadn't necessarily gotten off on the greatest start but I was relieved to see him again.

"Are you going to lunch?" I asked him.

Turning around to look at me, he smiled.

"Yeah. We can sit together if you want."

"That would be great."

He walked with me to the cafeteria and we waited in the line together. The food didn't look spectacular but it was better than nothing.

Harvey led me to a table with a few guys sitting in letterman jackets. He introduced them as Uriah, Zeke, and Curt. They were all very welcoming as I sat with them.

"Is it true that you're mates with the alpha's son?" Zeke asked me.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I just wanted to be sure. It doesn't make much sense why you'd be sitting with us if he's your mate. Although, by the look he's giving us, I'd be surprised if you weren't."

When I furrowed my brows he nodded behind me. Following his eyes, I turned to meet the glares of my mate. He looked like he wanted to kill everyone at this table.