Chapter 1

Venus POV

If there's anything I've learned as a rogue, it's to never step foot onto another pack's territory without permission. As soon as I enter someone's territory, I am thought of as a threat. Rogues are often treated like trash for not belonging to a pack, even if it was not by choice.

Today I would start my stay at the Silver Moon pack in Virginia. The alpha and luna of the pack granted me access to enter their territory and are allowing me to attend classes at the local school. I was grateful for their generosity even if I didn't entirely understand it. No alpha or luna I've ever met in the past would have been so gracious to me.

I stepped into the small apartment I would be staying in while I lived in their territory. Contrary to popular belief, not all rogues lived out the rest of their lives in the woods.

It was important for me as I roamed around that I stay in areas heavily populated by humans and unclaimed by wolves. Most of those places didn't even have forests and though I never lived in the same spot for great amounts of time, I enjoyed the luxury of sleeping in a bed and having a roof over my head. In order to pay rent, I often found jobs waitressing in diners or being a cashier in a store.

Another common disbelief about rogues is that they never get to have social interactions again. While we are looked down on by our own kind, humans don't have anything against spending time with us. They don't care if we don't belong to a pack and they are actually great company.

As I looked around my empty apartment, I remembered all of the things that I used to have. An endless supply of food, more friends than I could count, and most importantly, a family.

Things were so simple back when it was me, my mom, and my dad. I could still remember the day that it all fell apart.

****

Three Years Ago

"Mom, I'm hungry." I complained.

We had been driving for the past several hours after leaving the destination for our summer vacation that year.

"Don't worry, honey. There's a gas station just a couple miles ahead. We can stop there and get you a few snacks."

I tried to sit still patiently in my seat. It was quite difficult when my stomach growled every thirty seconds. To avoid thinking about my hunger, I rested my eyes against the window.

I must've dosed off because before I knew it, we were parked in front of a gas station. I opened up my eyes to see my father still sitting in the driver's seat.

"Where's Mom?"

"She went inside to get you some snacks for when you woke up." He smiled as he looked back at me. I didn't know it at the time, but this would be the last time I ever saw him smile.

Gunshots soon rang out from inside the building. A faint scream that sounded like my mom's could be heard. The blood drained from my dad's face as he turned back towards the gas station. He didn't even hesitate to unbuckle his seat belt.

It terrified me to be alone at that moment. I rushed to follow my dad into the building. The thieves passed us before we got inside. They jumped into our car but it didn't matter at that point.

Nothing did.

*****

My last memory of my mother was of her lying lifeless in a pool of blood.

After that, my dad could barely continue to function without his mate. He could've enjoyed her spirit through me, instead he chose to push me out of his life also. I reminded him to much of her and it was too painful for him. At times, he could barely look at me.

My dad would never say it to my face, but I was to blame for her death. If I hadn't needed food so badly, we would've never been at the gas station. If I hadn't dosed off, it could've been me in there instead of her.

It didn't take long before I couldn't handle his silence any longer. I left him, my pack, and everything I've ever known behind. Obviously I never had the desire to become a rogue, but it felt like my only option at the time.

I thought that it was fair to say I've been doing well on my own these past couple years. I haven't got caught trespassing on anyone's territory and I've been able to earn money on my own in the human world. I may not have a home, but having the freedom to go wherever I want and do whatever I want was worth it.

When I was younger, I used to dream about what it might be like meeting my mate for the first time. I wanted to be swept off my feet and fall head over heels in love with him. It was always my goal to be mated and have a family. Once my mom died, that dream changed.

Unlike a long time ago, I now hoped that I never meet my mate. I don't want or need a man in my life. My independence was more important to me than anything else. Meeting my mate would only mean that I have to give that up.

I walked to the small kitchen of my apartment to heat up a bowl of soup. Instead of eating my dinner at the dining room table, I sat on the couch of the living room. In front of me, the TV played. I turned up the volume, effectively drowning out the silence and expelling any of the loneliness that threatened to creep in.