Eva

WHO THE HELL IS THIS WOMAN?

I stood in the hallway for the longest time, trying to come to terms with the fact that this Eva situation has been delayed for so long and that I really needed to speak to my wife. As distraught as she currently is, I need to know about this Eva person.

The survival of our family depends on it.

"Rafe," she called. I looked up to find her and the girls looking at me funnily.

"Hmm?" I replied.

"Are you ok?" she asked.

"Why?" I asked.

"You've been standing there for two minutes and you didn't hear us calling you," Calinda informed me.

"Sorry. I'm just thinking about something important," I said, shaking the thought away.

"You're so weird daddy," Camilla scowled.

"You're my child, so you're weird too," I smirked, making the girls gasp while my wife giggled.

"Let's head down," my wife suggested.

We headed down and I made eye contact with my mother as soon as we were in the lounge. She sent me a slight nod, and I scanned the room for my father, who also sent me a nod. They confirmed and eased my thoughts.

Aretha would be able to see her grandmother.

"Beautiful, I'm pretty sure you're tired of hearing condolences, but I'm pretty sure you can never be tired of hugs," the man I learnt was my wife's bus driver, Mr Dowson, said as he came up to hug her.

"I could never get tired of hugs, especially yours gramps," she smiled, hugging him back.

"You look better than I thought you would," Katherine told her.

"I even feel better. I may have lost my grandmother, but I have a whole new family now, and that's all she wanted for me; to know that she wouldn't be leaving me alone. I'm happy that she at least got to meet and spend time with the wonderful family she left me with," my wife explained.

"You are the strongest woman I know girlie, and I hope you always remember that," Rhonda told her.

"I'm not all that," my wife blushed.

"You all that and so much more," I whispered in her ear, making her hide in my chest from embarrassment.

"Well then, let's head on out," Joel announced.

There were too many cars for me to count, and quite frankly, I wasn't bothered to. We headed over to my Escalade, a car I got recently thanks to my wife. It's big enough to fit the both of us and the girls. She keeps insisting that we're going to end up owning a minibus at the rate we're going.

We headed to the church in a procession. It was only eight in the morning on a Saturday, so the roads weren't that filled. We arrived at the church and only managed to fill the front of the church. Father Jones, who I'd also flown down, was given the platform to perform the funeral by Father Luciano, the parish priest of our family church here in Italy.

The ceremony was both morose and tranquil, as confusing as that is. My wife managed to explain how that works in the eulogy, by explaining that while we're all sad that Yvette is gone, we're also all at peace because we know that while she has left us, she is finally at peace after her long struggle with cancer.

From the church, we headed out to the cemetery. As strong as she had been, my wife broke down like never before when all six coffins were lowered into their graves. I could see the shock on my family members' and friends' faces when they saw the other five coffins.