Chapter 9. Jason Grace

"Go on, Jase! You can do it!"

Jason took a deep breath as Piper yelled encouragement to him. The huge, fluffy pink teddy bear smiled down at him from the ceiling, and the stand man smirked at him from behind the counter, arms crossed over his chest. 

He knew Jason didn't stand a chance.

"Yessssssss!!!" Jason shouted, arms flailing in the air as the victory sank in. The tiny, soft ball had landed, fair and square, in the black bucket, meaning he'd finally managed to win the teddy bear for his girlfriend.

Piper screamed,running to him with a huge grin on her face as the stand man handed her the bear with a scowl. Jason laughed as she clutched it tight, her eyes only just visible over the mass of bright pink fur.

"You're amazing, Jase. I would never have thought of taking you to the circus... but I'm glad you did!" Piper gushed, and Jason felt a rush of pride flow through him.

He leant forwards, gently placing the bear on her back and tying its furry arms around her middle. Then he plucked the flower he'd found earlier from his pocket and pushed it into her hair, its deep red colour blending perfectly with her mahogany waves.

She giggled, and their lips met...

Jason woke up from his dream. Well, his mind stopped the dream... but he didn't wake up. Jason was surrounded by darkness, which he hated, and his only distractions were dreams. Memories, really. Replaying in his mind like old DVDs that had been rummaged from the back of a storage cupboard.

And though the memories were sweet, Jason wanted nothing more than to be able to get up and wrap his arms around Piper - the real Piper - and tell her he was ok. Tell everyone he was ok. Jason scoffed in his head. Yeah, right, he wasn't even able to wake up, let alone move.

He wasn't even sure how long he'd been lying there. It felt like forever, but it had probably only been about a day, maybe even less. Man, he was bored.

Suddenly, he felt hands grip his shoulders, and long, sharp nails digging into his skin.  The unmistakable flowery scent of Hera's disgusting perfume insulted his nostrils. Her nasal, over-dramatic voice annoyed Jason, even though she hadn't done anything wrong.

"Oh, Jupiter, isn't this just terrible!" She screeched, talking to his dad. Jason mentally grimaced at the thought of her wrapping herself around him, holding his hand and comforting him. "I simply cannot believe this tragedy has happened... and to our darling Jason too!"

There was a series of loud, fake wails, accompanied by a low voice. His dad was obviously trying to get her to shut up. Then, Jason heard a soft cough come somewhere from his left.

"Um, excuse me. Hi." The voice was feminine, light and friendly, if not a little shy. "I'm Nurse Hestia, but you can call me Tia. I just need to change his bedsheets, if you'll let me, and then it's lunch time. You can come back after lunch, if you like. Have you got anything you'd like to say to him?"

There was silence, a couple of scuffles, before his dad asked, "wait, he can hear us?"

"Of course!" Nurse Tia replied, and Jason thought he heard a slight tone of laughter underlying her voice. Suddenly, his nose was overcome with the flowery scent again and, inside his head, Jason gagged.

"Look, I know you don't like me," Hera whispered. "To be honest, the feeling's mutual, honey. But you'd better wake up. After all, you don't want your poor daddy and I feeling sad now, do you?" Hera moved away, and spoke in a louder voice, as though announcing her feelings to the world in a dramatic soap opera.

"Jason, do wake up! I miss you so much! It's so quiet in the house now! I wish..." Her voice trailed to a stop, and now Jason heard his dad talking. He'd never heard him sound so distraught and stressed, and it made Jason feel honestly guilty.

"Jase, man. I know I haven't been there for you all the time, but I'm here for you now. When you wake up, and I know you will, I promise I'll be a better father to you and Thals, ok? How about that?" Jason felt his dad pat his cheek awkwardly, but he was distracted. Was that alcohol he smelt on his dad's breath?

All of a sudden, Jason was terrified. When his mom had died, his dad had slowly sunken into depression. He'd drink alcohol all day and pass out, waking up feeling ill with a massive hangover. Finally, Thalia had found him help, and now he was pretty much back to normal, but if he sank back to his old ways...

Jason felt shuddery, shaken up. He heard the heart monitor beep faster beside him, sounding crazy, as though it was a bomb about to explode. A sharp pain shot through his head, making his mind momentarily go foggy.

When he 'woke up', his ears were filled with the sounds of chaos. He had a huge headache, and the continuous shouts and beeps weren't helping one bit. At that moment, he wanted to die...

Hands were grabbing and pulling at him, but one pair stood out. They were soft, calm, gentle, clasping one of his wrists and rubbing soothing circles onto his palm. One sweet voice broke through the panic. It was that Nurse Tia, back again.

"Stay with me, Jason. You'll be ok. Stay with me, stay with me, stay... with..."

The background noise grew once more as Jason's mind was swathed in thick, stifling darkness.

AN

Ooooh! Dramatic, right!?!?!?

I've been trying to write Jason POV for at least the last two chapters, but they just didn't feel right so I put other POVs instead. I think this one worked though! (Yay!) XD

Feel free to comment and vote! It would be greatly appreciated (ooh, look at me, I've gone all posh!!!!)

Love you alllllllll!!!!!! :)

RandomPhandom xxx