Restless

Mabel stared up at the red numbers on the timer. It was midnight and the exhausted girl's eyelids drooped, opening them each time she was close to falling asleep. For the whole day, Mabel had not left her Grunkle Stan's side. The timer had twenty-six hours left to warm up until the big day.

While Mabel tried her best to chase sleep, Dipper tried to welcome sleep in his bed. Unlike before, Dipper found himself tossing and flipping around from side-to-side on his lumpy, uncomfortable mattress. The kid was absolutely, one hundred percent sure sleep was never going to come. Everything was uncomfortable, from the cruel mattress that used to be cozy and soft, to the portal that shown its light through the gaps in the floorboards.

Once again in the living room, Star got the couch. Next to her, snoring on the ground, was none-other-than Marco. She had spent the day with Marco, boarding up any smashed windows, open cracks, and more broken boards to board over. The whole idea of boarding the windows up was strange to Marco.

"Why can't he just pay for new windows?" He had said earlier that day.

Star just shrugged and went back to her lousy job of nailing down the boards. She also almost split open a finger, but the Safe Kid took away the hammer before she could. Marco sighed as he tried to show his blonde-headed friend how to use a hammer and nails the proper way.

Marco was so exhausted, he didn't mind curling up on the tough ground. For Star, on the other hand, the beast of sleep did not condone her. She preferred to keep her eyes open and sing or dance or go dimensional-hopping, like she always did with her best friend, Marco. Unfortunately, Marco declined the offer to do any of those things with Star due to his lack of energy.

The girl turned to her right side, so she wasn't facing the back of the yellow, mushy, worn couch. Laying her head on the armrest, Star stared down at the Mexican boy. He took in light and calm breaths, his face towards her. She saw him wrinkle his nose and clench his eyes closed harder for a millisecond and then pull up the covers on his chest a bit. Star couldn't help, but, let out a small giggle.

She loved Marco-as a best friend, of course. Even when he was in a deep slumber, he snored like a dork. But that's what she cherished: Marco, the "Misunderstood Bad Boy": Marco, the "Safe Kid": Marco, the "Earth Turd". Yes, he was called many things, but Star always loved his name, and only his name: Marco Diaz. She knew everything about him, despite the fact they've been living together for a while now. Marco Diaz, he was the bestest friend anyone could ever ask for. He was obsessed with nachos, adored his family and friends, was a green belt in karate, and kept promises. He had a humongous crush on a girl named Jackie Lynn Thomas and spoke fluent Spanish...often when he ranted or was incredibly angry. He hated being criticized, waking up early, drinking coffee, and his arch nemesis, Jeremy.

But the one thing that stuck out most to Star about Marco, was that he never would do anything to hurt anyone he cared about. Star appreciated the things Marco would do for her. Yet, she still loved how he came to the Blood Moon Ball because she knew he was worried about the fourteen year-old getting her heart broken by her demon ex-boyfriend again. Though Star didn't appreciate Marco's appearance at the ball, she loved how he cared to be there at all.

After a while of letting her mind wander, Star finally shut her weary eyes, tiredness washing over her.