No going back

Dipper didn't know he was sobbing until he heard his sister crying. He suddenly felt disappointed in himself. To Dipper, he was strong and smart and brave. He fought all different kinds of monsters - gnomes, shapeshifters, ghosts, and even a manipulative dream demon. You name it. He's seen it all. But the real monster was his own Grunkle, or imposter Grunkle. He wasn't so sure.

Dipper rested his chin over Stan's shoulder, silently letting drops of tears leave his eyes. He didn't want the stranger hugging him to hear his sobs. Maybe Mabel was able to forgive the old man, but Dipper definitely didn't and wasn't going to.

"Trust no one." He thought to himself.

Even his own sister turned her back on him. He couldn't even trust his own sister, the person he grew up with. Dipper hated how Mabel trusted the con man. Dipper hated Mabel. He hated Stan. He hated his own parents for taking him to Gravity Falls. He wanted to leave. He was sick of the dumb, cruel town.

Mabel peered over her beloved Grunkle's shoulder to see the two kids observing her and her family.

"Okay, this is awkward..." The teenage girl whispered to the boy.

The boy took two steps further away from the grieving family, making sure to keep his distance.

"I guess it's better if we just leave them alone." The boy whispered back to the girl, turning his head halfway to do so. "C'mon. Let's go back home, while this portal is still running."

Stan didn't notice that he had left the boy and girl aside, with his back turned towards them, until he heard their voices behind him.

The boy turned away, back to the portal to leave. His footsteps echoed across the cement ground. The blonde, however, didn't move a muscle. In her hands, she held tightly onto her purple magical wand. She couldn't seem to look away from the man and the two kids. The girl, which she now knew was named Mabel, was also meeting the blonde's blue eyes. The teen frowned. She could feel, just by staring deep into Mabel's sorrowful and pitiful eyes, how the younger girl felt.

Her heart sunk at the thought of leaving people who are obviously going through a tough time. She wanted to help them. No. She needed to help them. If she could do at least something, anything, she would be satisfied and be able to go back home.

"Wait!" The girl yelled to the boy, which made the kids and the man turn around.

The teenage girl held up her hand to the boy who was trudging away. He stopped in his tracks and swiveled around to face her.

"We can't leave yet! Maybe..." She turned to the Pines family. "We could help. I mean, I know it's not our fault..."

The girl stared down at the ground. She kicked the rocks around,  thinking of what she could do. Anything at all would give her a boost of happiness and achievement.

The man did say that he was waiting for his brother. Then, an idea popped into the blonde's brain. Her pink plump hearts on her cheeks transformed into two bright yellow light bulbs. A pearly white smile shown across her face.

"I -" She came to a brief halt to correct herself. "We..." She gestured to her and her friend in the red hoodie in front of her. "Could help you get your brother back!"

There it was again. That word. Brother. Dipper didn't know to believe that that was exactly correct. Then again, he wasn't sure of anything that just happened that day.