Chapter 2

Hunter POV

The clock read nine when I finally rolled out of bed Saturday morning. I stood and stretched, letting my muscles get ready to move again. Before I even turned, I heard a small moan that reminded me I wasn't alone.

It was a rare occurrence for me to let a girl spend the night. I guess I just didn't have the heart to tell her to leave last night.

"Where are you going?" She asked me.

"I need a shower." I turned to face her. She was still lying in my bed curled up in the sheets.

"Could I join you?"

"No. You should probably go."

"Oh alright."

She looked disappointed at my answer. Girls always expected more from me. I often tried my best to be honest with them about my intentions, but they never understood. Relationships were for mates. I didn't see the need to never be with another girl because I'm destined to be with someone else, however, if I have a girlfriend when I meet my mate, that would surely end in a disaster.

I  walked into the bathroom where I washed myself off in the shower. It was one my favorite places because of how relaxing the heated water felt on my back.

When I stepped back into my bedroom, I found that the girl had left. I was thankful that she was no longer here because I needed to visit my parents today.

I lived in the alpha suite of the pack house. My mom and dad used to live here before they had me and my siblings. Now they live in their own house a little ways away from the pack house.

Once I was dressed, I stepped into the hallway where I bumped into Jason, my soon-to-be beta.

"I see you slept with Jessica." He stated.

"Yeah. So?"

"When you meet your mate, she's not gonna be too happy to find out that you slept around a lot before meeting her."

"It doesn't matter. It will be in the past by then and she's meant to love me unconditionally. That's what mates do."

"If that's what you think, I won't try to stop you anymore. You'll find out for yourself."

"I don't need your advice." I growled out at him.

I hated when he mentioned the topic of mates. He acted like he knew everything about it because he's known his mate for over a year and I have yet to meet mine.

"I'll let you believe that now, but one day you'll realize that you need my advice."

"Fine. Whatever."

"Where are you going?" He asked me.

"I'm going to my parents' house." I told him.

"Have fun." He said before walking away.

I left the pack house without saying another word to anyone and drove over to see my mom and dad.

When I walked into their house I heard music coming from the kitchen.

Curious, I went in there only to find my mom dancing and singing along to Talk Dirty to Me by Jason Derulo.

The sight was very nearly traumatizing. This was the first time I ever saw her twerk and I hoped to goddess that it would be the last.

At least she was wearing pants this time. Sometimes I walk in here to see her in nothing but one of my dad's t-shirts.

When the song ended I finally spoke up.

"Now that you've finished dancing shamelessly to that dirty song, can we talk?" I said smirking.

She looked at me with a startled expression.

"You son of a bitch! You know, it's rude to sneak up on people like that. How long have you been watching me?" My mother scolded.

"You do realize that I'm your son so you just referred to yourself as a bitch." I teased.

"Smartass." She grumbled while glaring at me.

"You weren't wrong though. You are one crazy bitch." I said to her.

"Hunter, you will not speak to your mother with so much disrespect. Apologize to her."

I turned around to find my dad standing with his arms crossed. He shot me a disapproving look.

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry, Mom." It wasn't easy to ask for forgiveness when I hardly did anything wrong, but I did it because I love her.

"You are forgiven. Are you staying for dinner?" She asked. 

"Yeah. Do you need help with anything?"

"Actually, I need to speak to you about something." My dad told me.

"Ok." I looked to my mom with a questioning glance but she only gave me a reassuring nod.

I followed my dad into his office and sat across from him once we were there.

"Hunter, you know you've recently turned eighteen and that's the age alphas often receive their titles."

His words excited me. I had tried not to bother him about this earlier because I knew that in time he would finally be ready to pass his title onto me.

"Of course."

"I don't think you're ready for this title yet."

"What?" I stood up incredulous. What could he possibly mean by that? How was I not ready?

"Being alpha is a huge responsibility and I haven't seen you acting much like a mature adult as of late." His reasoning only made me angrier.

"I am plenty mature."

"Son, I don't think you can handle the position yet."

"So am I never going to become alpha?" I asked. My throat tightened and I made fists to keep my hands from shaking.

"You will be. I think it best we wait until you have a Luna. She can share this burden and help you handle this responsibility."

"Fine."

I stormed out of his office and into the dining room where the table was set.

It could be years before I ever find my mate. The alpha title should've already been mine.

Being an alpha was who I'm meant to be. If all I needed was a Luna then I would have to find one soon whether she's my mate or not.

My siblings and parents filed into the room. Together we had dinner as a family. I tried to put on my best face, but I couldn't bring myself to talk to my father again.