Chapter Thirty Two~ A walk to remember

Start from the beginning

"As Salaam Alaikum." He greeted, his eyes taking me in. His careful eyes analyzed everything.

"Ahlain." I managed to reply and noticed Asma going completely silent now. She stared at my husband, with her big teary eyes. Delisia grinned at me and went inside as well.

"Hayak Allah, Tafadhal. (May God greet you, c'mmon in)" I finally invited him and then realized I was being too formal and nice, which seemed unnecessary. "I wasn't expecting you." I certified, removing the formalities.

"I can see that." He stated, with a light smile. He shouldn't smile, not at me and not like that.

As we walked together to the men's meylis, he got closer. I noticed Asma snaking her hand around my neck and hugging me tightly, clearly intimidated by my husband's charm! Breaking through my own thoughts, I turned to my little cousin. "Saleh Habibi, go tell my mother that Zayed's here." And Saleh ran inside, without uttering a word.

As we got in the meylis, I placed Asma down and turned to Zayed who had taken a seat. "Hamad is not here." I declared, slowly gathering my hair to one side, taming them down.

"I know." He replied. "I came to take you."

"Me?" I raised both eye brows and tried to sound surprised. "But I am still not ready, my bags are still unpacked." I made known, displeased, hoping he'll change his mind but he didn't.

"I can wait, but hurry up. I am coming straight from work and am a bit tired." He suggested, and I suppressed a sigh of defeat.

Stretching my hand for my niece. "Yalla Asoom (C'mon Asoom)" I said to her, but she ignored me, not intending to come along. "Stay here then, with uncle Zayed. I will be back soon." I suggested, and as I reached the door, I heard him summon her.

Quickly heading to my room, and on my way up the stairs, I heard mom and Reem arguing on what to serve him, tea or coffee. Leaving them there, I went to my room, to change into a decent Jalabia once again and straightened my slightly curly hair. I packed my stuff as quickly as I could, and was descending the stairs, when I found Reem standing there waiting for me. She wore a large sheilah, trying to hide her baby bump but failed.

"What were you doing in there? The man is running late." She scolded, frowning at me. I placed my bag on the floor and looked at her, annoyance radiating from my face.

"Who told him to come pick me up today? I didn't. His majesty seems to have a lot of free time." I put forward and her frown deepened.

"Mahra," She hissed. "Is that how a woman speaks about her husband?" She began lecturing me once again. Rolling my eyes at her, I made towards the meylis and apparently she had followed me.

Once at the door, we heard mother's voice speaking to her son-in-law. I let Reem precede me and she greeted him, warmly. As I stepped in after her, I saw Zayed standing in respect for my sister and something in my heart shook. He asked about her health and her wellbeing, then he inquired about her husband, children and her in-laws, not forgetting anyone. The way he stood, so tall and so confident, respect oozing from his manner, I couldn't help but admire that. Even Reem was a little intimidated, she smiled at him, her color slightly pink.

All was well, until Asma came hugging her mother's legs. "Khaloo Mahra hit me with the ball." She whined.

Reem eyed me, and to hide my embarrassment I rolled my eyes with a smile. "You've cosseted her too much." I complained, turning to look at my mother to defend me, but she gave me a dangerous look. A look that made the smile on my face, fade. It was a not-so-pleasant, reminder that my husband was still in the room.

"Yalla Mahra." Zayed began, glancing at me, ready to leave. I wanted to refuse, to deny going to that hell hole again but for the sake of my mother's eyes, smiling at the both of us, I stayed silent. What would happen to her when she knows that Zayed's visit to this house would be over in a few months? He won't come to pick me up, once his father's well!