Chapter 1

I've met a guy, but on that very day, everything changed. I didn't know that I could love a person like Jeff, a killer. It started the very day I met Jeff.

My eyes fluttered open as my phone vibrated out of control. Ggrrh. I grunted in frustration. It was Saturday, and I had forgotten to turn off my freaking alarm. I looked at my phone and saw that it was 5:00 am, the sun was not up, and it was still dark. I tried to go back to sleep, but it was no use. I got up, put on my black undershirt and black dress pants, and headed downstairs.

I saw my puppy as I walked downstairs, so I grabbed my pink hoodie, which was on the living room couch. "Rex, come here boy." He's a police dog that my dad had trained. The small Doberman got up and followed me as I walked out the door. It had been a year since my dad was murdered, and I haven't gotten over it.

"Smell the fresh morning air, Rex. Isn't it wonderful?" My dog barked.

Rex and I walked to the supermarket, hoping that it was open. "It's a fifteen-minute walk; can we do it, Rex?" He barked again. He's so cute. We walked and walked as the fog got thicker and thicker. My dog stopped and barked out of control. I turned to my dog. "What are you barking at?" He was looking at something. I turned around to see who it was and bumped into something hard. "It feels like a chest," I said to myself out loud. My cheeks turned red, as did my whole face. I took a step back to see who it was.

But this was no ordinary guy. He wore a white hoodie and black dress pants. Despite the way he dressed, he just stood there like he was a statue. I leaned in closer, hoping I could get a better view of his face, but his hair was as long as mine, and it was covering his face.

He slid his hands into the pocket of his hoodie, and I took a couple of steps back. He laughed. "How about you...GoToSleep!" He charged, pulling the knife out of his hoodie and aimed at my chest. My dog bit his hand, causing the knife to fall from his hand. The boy screamed in pain. I took the knife and held it, not knowing how to use it but hoping it would scare him off. But he just stood there laughing. "I'll see you later." He ran through the fog and vanished instantly.

Rex and I ran to the house and locked the door. "You're up early?" My mom was sitting on the sofa. "Early?" I thought to myself. "It was only 5:30 am. How can this be early?" My mom noticed because I never get up this early on Saturday. Maybe that's how she noticed. I can't tell her that I was almost killed. I think it's for the best.

I ran upstairs to my room without talking to my mom. I opened the doorknob and locked the door shut. Knock knock. "Honey, is this about your dad again?" It had been a year since my dad was murdered. "It's not like that, Mom!" I shouted. Tears ran down my face. "If it's okay, honey, I'll invite your friend Alexis to talk to you." My mom was persistent. "No, Mom, just leave me alone."

My mom had left and the crying had stopped. The thought of death reminded me of when I was almost killed. If it hadn't been for my dog Rex, I would have died.

I changed into my pajamas and tried to go back to sleep, attempting to forget the trauma. However, I tossed and turned but couldn't sleep. I remembered my window was open when it should have been closed, so I got up to close it. As I sat back on my bed, I heard the window open again. I turned around, but it was closed. I started to wonder if I was losing my mind.

I crawled back under my covers and tried to sleep once more, but I felt an eerie sensation of being watched. I looked towards the dark corner of my room and saw two eyes in the faint light. These weren't ordinary eyes; they were dark demon eyes, bordered with darkness and accompanied by a horrendous smile that made every hair on my body stand up. The figure spoke a chilling phrase that only a madman could say: "Go... To... Sleep..." He charged at me, holding a knife and aiming for my chest. I held up my sheets, and the knife barely missed me. It slowed him down enough for me to kick him in the stomach.

He gasped for air as he fell to his knees. I stood up and kicked him once more, causing him to grab my foot. "Let go!" I shouted, but he pulled me down, pinning me to the ground. I looked into his eyes, black rings surrounding them. They were cute though. He let go of me and sat quietly. I reached out to touch his face, and it had a leathery feel to it.

"Why didn't you finish me off?" I asked him, but he froze. "I'll see you again," he said, leaving through the window.

"What's his deal?" I said to myself, wondering about the strange encounter.