15| Defending Allison

Start from the beginning

Now I'm just going to sit through listening about his success feeling worthless in his shadow. When they ask me what I have been up to after he tells his elaborate story about rebuilding a town all I get to say is, "Oh I wrote a couple of good poems. I got into a huge writing convention and entered a competition for a contract with the best publisher but lost to some creep. But at least I tried right?!"

I groaned trying to push back the tears. I really didn't want to ruin my make-up but after letting a tear slip through the rest came rushing out. This was my chance to become somebody besides Ben's younger sister that does nothing valuable. Now, I'm back to being worthless and irrelevant to my family.

The battle of restraining tears was officially lost. Pity party was now in full swing as I walked down the hallways feeling heavier and heavier with each step. When making my way to my unknown destination I stumbled upon a corner that looked quite, vacant, and most importantly far away from the ballroom. It was good enough to let me collapse into a pool of tears.

Turning my heels, I went to the spot and leaned against the wall trying to steady my breathing. Being alone probably isn't the best thing right now, but it was better than being stuck in a room celebrating a pervert.

I'm not sure how long I stayed there, but as soon as I wiped away the tears and was ready to leave I heard multiple pairs of footsteps coming closer. They stopped near where I was sitting and suddenly it wasn't so quite anymore.

"What the fuck do you think you are doing, June?" came a deep voice filled with vehemence.

It took a moment for the other person to answer. "I have no idea what you are talking about, Jasper."

I jerked up surprised. Surely this can't be my Jasper. Sara did say he walked off though. I then peeked my head around the corner to see the familiar professor glaring at a woman with platinum blonde hair wearing a long black dress. Ms. Harrington.

"Don't you give me that bullshit," his dark eyes absolutely piercing hers. "I read his poetry, if you could even call it that."

She crossed her arms defensively. "As did I and I found that it was filled with interesting and intelligent content. Everything we are looking for at Harrington Publishing. He is truly an exceptional victor."

Jasper scoffed. "He is a below standard writer who doesn't give a shit about poetry," he fired back. "You and I both know the real reason why he won."

"Oh?" challenge in her voice. "And what reason might that be?"

Jasper took a step closer to her looking at her evenly. "Because he's your fuck buddy."

A small gasp slipped through my lips and I quickly covered my mouth. I definitely do not want to be caught. Nonetheless my mind was reeling at the new information. Is this true? Is Aaron sleeping around with Ms. Harrington? Surely not because he's been trying to get with me just the other night. But maybe . . .

Jasper continued when she didn't answer quickly enough. "And don't try to deny it. I saw you two in the elevator the other day."

Damn, what is it with the elevators here?

The edge of her lip curled up. "Is that jealousy in your tone I hear?"

"Not even close," he spat.

Even from behind I could tell Ms. Harrington was flustered just like Jasper wanted. "If you are suggesting that I am mixing my personal life with business then you are sadly mistaken," she spat.

"What goes on behind doors does not influence my opinions or work--"

"Bullshit," his voice was even deeper than before. "You and I both know that your personal life has influenced many of your decisions."