Chapter 26 - Bittersweet Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Grinning at her, I threaded my fingers through her hair and leant down to kiss her again. As my lips met hers, I felt Lily smile and give in, leaning in to my chest. I recognised the familiar taste of her strawberry lip gloss that I loved, and I pulled back and nibbled her bottom lip gently.

Lily took a breath and leant back, licking her lips as she stared up at me with a glazed over look in her eyes. I could still faintly taste the strawberry on my tongue, it tasted sweet. Smiling, I winked at Lily and took hold of her hand.

"I'll have to do that more often," I said, stroking my chin to make it look like I was deep in thought.

"Do what more often?" Lily asked, still sounding a little dazed.

"Well," I smiled, "Everytime you argue with me, I can just kiss you and then you'll stop talking. It's a win-win situation."

"Oh really?" She muttered, arching an eyebrow at me. "And who says I'll kiss you back?"

Even as she said it, the look on her face told me she didn't believe it herself. Grinning, I leant down and whispered in her ear. "Come on gorgeous," I laughed, "We both know you find me irresistable."

As I heard Lily curse under her breath, my laugh got louder. She just glanced up at me, a slight frown on her face as she realized she couldn't deny it. Of course, Lily had to know that if it was the other way around, all she would have to do was smile at me, and I would do absolutely anything for her.

"Hey guys," Jackie said glumly, appearing suddenly at my side. "The bags are all checked in and we can go through the departures gate pretty much any time now."

"Yep," Dick nodded beside her, looking equally as glum. "I thought maybe we could grab a quick coffee though, before we go through."

"I was thinking the same thing," I smiled, pointing towards the coffee shop that we had gotten smoothies from the day the two had arrived for their visit.

Squeezing Lily's hand gently, I pulled her beside me as we made our way over to the coffee shop. Smiling over at Jackie, I wrapped my other arm around her shoulders, pulling her against my side. Kissing her on the top of the head briefly, I lent down and whispered to her.

"It's been good to see you sis," I smiled. "Next time, don't leave it so long."

"It has been a great visit," she smiled back, making a point of glancing towards Lily who was walking the other side of me. "For a number of reasons."

As we reached the cafe, I asked what everyone wanted before they all went and sat down by a window table, tucked away in the corner. After getting the water for Dick and the three fruit smoothies for myself, Lily and Jackie, I walked over to the table and took a seat.

"So what are the plans for when you get back?" Lily asked, taking a sip of the smoothie through the straw.

"We just need to have a final meeting with the hotel," Jackie replied. "Make sure everything's according to plan and that's pretty much it."

"And then the next step is to, uh, " Dick said, a nervous look passing his features. "Well, is to get married I suppose."

"Yeah, " I shrugged, watching as Dick turned a slight shade of green. "Getting married, just another step. No big deal..."

"So what is the hotel like where you're getting married?" Lily smiled, leaning towards them.

"It's actually on the other side of the lake," Jackie grinned, nodding over at me. "You remember the one Noah, called Lakeside. It's so great and you can see mum and dad's lakehouse from there."