Chapter 22: How's It Gonna Be

Start from the beginning

So if you really think about it, it was the cocksucker's fault he had a dead leg instead of only a sprained whatever.

"Dude, he deserved it," said Kurt, putting a hand on Frisco's shoulder.

None of us spoke. For a second, I wondered if what we were doing had a point. After we extracted our revenge on all those responsible, what then?

Are we just gonna continue our lives like nothing happened?

I vaguely shook my head. Not the time and place to reflect on this. I wanted to laugh. Me, reflecting and shit. That wasn't my style.

Alfie clapped his hands together, and asked, "You know what I think?"

"No," shrugged Frisco. "But I'm sure you'll tell us."

"I think we need to unwind. Get the bad mojo outta our system."

Connie raised an eyebrow and tilted her head. "And what do you have in mind?"

"Let's have a beach party!" proposed Alfie excitedly.

Kurt chuckled. "We have a game tonight."

"I know that, fucker," laughed Alfie. "I meant tomorrow. You in?"

"You need to ask?" snorted Kurt.

I shrugged. "Sure, why not?"

"I'm in," replied Connie a-matter-of-factly.

Frisco smiled. "Me, too."

I suddenly caught sight of a girl with a black hair just as she passed us. She wore an army jacket over a white dress. I only realized then that the jacket might've belonged to her late dad. Without thinking, I followed after her.

"Hey, Oz! Where're you going?" yelled my best friend.

"I'll catch up with you later," I replied over my shoulder.

"Make good choices!"

"Alright, mom!" I chuckled.

Then, I chased after the black-haired girl to a different corridor.

Just as she arrived to her locker, a random gangly dude blocked her from my path. He was oblivious to the fact that I was trying to get to my girl here. Shithead.

I hung my head and stood in front of him, waiting for him to notice me. He continued to rummage through his shit so I cleared my throat. He looked up and saw me, causing him to automatically take a step back like I was Darth Vader or something.

Did I mention I have that effect on people?

"Beat it," I simply said.

He immediately scampered away. The dark side of the force was strong.

I wandered my eyes to Halo and realized that she watched the whole exchange. Shit. Was I too much of a dick? It wasn't like she didn't know already.

"Hey, dork," I greeted, stepping closer to her. "What's up?"

She avoided my eyes and went back to getting books from her locker. I cocked my head to the side in wonder. Did she just not hear me? Did I somehow get the wrong girl?

I looked around, making sure I was at the right place. And I was. Then, I peeked at her face. Yeah, it was Halo. Oh-kay. Maybe I should try again.

"Halo?"

Nothing.

She still ignored me.

What the fuck is going on?