Chapter Two: Figuring it Out

*Derek

When he saw it, Derek froze—having seen nothing like it before, he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do. The thing had shiny grey skin, large yellow glowing eyes, bat-like ears, and an abnormally large head for its lanky form. Skinny or not, it looked dangerous with its long metallic claws. It was like nothing he's ever seen before, and it was looking right at Stiles's. "Get away from him," he growled, his fangs bared, his claws extended. He shoved the beast away from his companion and slashed at its chest, cutting through its flesh easily. He paused again when he saw the wound; what the hell? It bleeds black blood?

The creature took advantage of the momentary distraction and jumped at Derek, knocking him off his feet. It bared its teeth at the werewolf as it straddled him, a webbed foot placed on either side of his chest, and it sneered. "Different," it hissed as it seemingly studied Derek's morphed face with interest. It leaned in closer and took in Derek's scent. "Same," it hissed a moment later, before smelling Derek again.

Derek grimaced when the creature smelled him and tried pushing it off. He was almost able to gain enough leverage to push it off when the creature hissed and wrapped it's thin fingers around his neck. "Fuck," he growled as the creature lifted him off the ground to slam him into a nearby tree. The smell of his blood filling the air, it's claws started digging into his skin.

The creature smelled the air before licking its lips a few times, revealing that it had rows of needle-like teeth, "Delicious, just a small taste," it hissed, and before he knew it, Derek was on the ground again with the thing leaning over him. The creature looked as though he was about to lick him when it suddenly went limp, its body just collapsing onto Derek.

*Stiles

Stiles panicked when the creature's eyes landed on him. He wanted to listen, to run for it, but he couldn't just leave Derek behind. Even if he wasn't going to be of any real help, he just couldn't bring himself to do it. "Y-y-you don't scare me," he said, though he wasn't entirely sure the thing could even understand him. However, it didn't matter either way because before he knew it, Derek was fighting the thing.

Stiles watched helplessly as Derek went down. He wanted to do something to help, but he was just human. What could he possibly do? Then he remembered the bat in his hand. He gripped it tightly and took a few steps closer, not sure if this was going to be a good idea or not. When he finally decided to just go for it, it looked like for a moment. He wouldn't even need to. Derek had it taken care of. Of course, he did. It was Derek. Then it went south, and he was being pinned down again, so without even thinking about it, he ran at the creature and hit him on the back of the head as hard as he could, and luckily it was enough to knock the beast out. Stiles watched as the thing collapsed onto Derek as limp as a rag doll. He whooped with success. "That was awesome!" he said with a goofy smile and hurried over to Derek to help him up.

"Shut up," Derek grunted as he pushed the creature off of him and took the boy's helping hand. He pulled himself up onto his feet and looked down at the thing that had attacked them. Derek growled before extending his claws once more, "Might as well kill it while it's out," he said and looked at Stiles for a moment before turning back to the creature. He stared for a moment before pushing the thing onto its back and slashing its throat with his claws.

Stiles had wanted to protest but couldn't bring himself to. He wasn't Scott. He didn't believe that everyone could be saved. This thing, whatever it was, killed dozens of people. Whatever Derek decided to do, he'd stand behind. It was better than letting the thing live. There was the sickening sound of Derek's claws cutting through the creature's flesh, and then it was over. He couldn't watch, so he walked away and kept his eyes on the ground, wanting to be away from the creature in general. "So does that mean it's done then?" he asked and tentatively looked over at Derek, who was wiping his hands off in the grass.