Thirteen ➵ Wonpil

I wake up in the hospital with an aching neck but a smile on my face.

Vernon believes me, not Eui.

Joshua is also awake and I crane my neck so I'm facing him.

"Morning, star." He whispers, his voice sounding deep and tired.

"Joshua, Areum," Dino says lowly from opposite us and I look at him. "Why are you holding hands?"

I look down at my lap and see he's right, our hands are tightly locked together. We quickly let go of each other and I looks down, blushing.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" He asks and I shake my head.

"No...."

"Just tell me if there's something between you." He demands and the boys around us look worried.

"There's nothing going on."

"I don't believe you but I'm too tired to argue. I'm going to see Vernon." He says and I look at Joshua with panicked eyes.

When he leaves the room, the remaining boys beside Joshua laugh.

"Busted." Wonwoo chuckles in his deep voice and I glare at him.

"He's going to kill me!" Joshua whispers loudly and the boys' laughter increases.

"Don't worry, Jisoo, we'll protect you." Woozi says, hiding a laugh and places a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm going to see Vernon, too." I tell the boys and stand up.

"Alright, see you later." Joshua whispers and gently kisses my cheek, causing the boys to tease and whistle.

I walk through the corridors, rubbing my blurry eyes, still extremely tired because of last night. Without checking the room number, I step inside and smile tiredly.

"Hey, Vernon."

"Who's Vernon?"

I snap my eyes open wide, feeling suddenly awake. I don't see Vernon lying on the bed, but a handsome boy around my age or slightly older, looking at me confused.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'll go-"

"No, don't go. You can stay." He smiles and I hesitantly sit on the chair next to his bed.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Kim Wonpil. You?"

"Lee Areum."

"So, who's Vernon? Your boyfriend?" He asks, a slight smirk on his face but as I look into his eyes, I can only see sadness.

"No, not my boyfriend. He's my best friend." I tell him, laughing lightly and feeling strangely comfortable around the new stranger, Kim Wonpil.

"So, why are you here?" I ask and he looks around uncomfortably. "You don't need to tell me, if you don't want to..."

"No, it's OK," he coughs, "I had a relapse."

I furrow my eyebrows. "What's that?"

"Just, just where I got really sad and angry..."

"Oh, but are you feeling better now?" I ask and he nods slowly.

"Sort of."

"Well that's good. Recovery is hard but so is exercising, and we still need to do that. And the outcome is always positive isn't it?" I ask and a small, faint smile spreads across his face.

"I guess you're right."

"How long are you staying here?"

"Another week or so maybe, I'm not too sure."

"Where are your parents?"

"I don't know. I don't care, either." He says lowly and I frown.

"What do you mean?"

"They don't care about me..."

"Well, I do," I smile and rest my hand on his arm, comforting the sad boy. "I need to go now, my boyfriend and brother will be worried but I'll come and see you soon, alright?"

He nods. "Do you promise?"

"I promise," I laugh and wrap my little finger around his. "Pinky promise."

I leave the room and head into the right direction, where I see Kim Eui sitting alone with Vernon. I press my ear against the door and faint, muffled voices can be heard.

"I'm sorry, Eui but we can't be together anymore."

"Why? Where has this come from? Did that bitch Areum say-"

"Areum is not a bitch!" I hear Vernon defend me and I smile. "What-What are you doing?"

I then hear Vernon shriek in pain and I immediately burst through the door, gasping at the sight of Eui pressing her hand against Vernon's sore ribs. I run behind her and pull her off him and she laughs menacingly.

"Oops?" She sniggers and I turn around, not hesitating to slap her harshly across the face.

"What do you think you're doing, you bitch?" I shriek and the awful smile on her face doesn't fade. "Answer me!"

"I never really cared about him, anyway. You know that."

"Get out." I growl lowly and she chuckles yet again.

"Fine. Bye, Vernon." She smiles a false, sweet smile before walking out of the room, slamming the door shut behind her.

I immediately turn to Vernon. "Are you okay?"

"Please...Get the nurse." He says shakily, pain evident in his tone.

I nod and rush out of the room to find the nearest nurse. The boys are sat in the corridor and they look at me with worry in their eyes.

"Areum, what's happened?" Jun asks but I run passed him.

"Excuse me, nurse!" I call. "You need to check your patient Hansol Choi right away."

"Is he hurt?" Wonwoo asks.

"Kim Eui hurt him..." I say angrily.

"Ugh, that bitch." Jun mutters.

"We'll go and see him right away, miss." The nurse informs me and I thank her appreciatively.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to restrain my angry thoughts about Kim Eui. I didn't care when she hurt me but when she physically and emotionally abused Vernon, it hurt me twice as much. I hate Kim Eui.

"He'll be OK, star don't worry." Joshua says, appearing beside me.

His calm, soft voice immediately relaxes me and I take a long, deep breath, finally beginning to calm down. I see the nurse from before approach us and I rush towards her.

"Is he OK?"

"Hansol is fine, luckily the rib he broke wasn't damaged but the pressure caused him discomfort. He informed me of the situation and I told him he could press charges against Miss Kim, but he decided against it. He's resting now, his body suffered a great shock."

I nod. "OK, thank you, nurse."

As I walk through the corridor to see Vernon again, I notice multiple nurses and doctors rushing inside of somebody's room. As I approach closer, I realise it's not just 'somebody's room.

It's Wonpil's.

Author's note: Sorry, I'm having a day6 obsession at the moment and Wonpil is my joint-bias ;)

we're almost at a thousand reads, thanks very much :)