"You ready?"

Dominique asked me as she stopped the car.

"Yeah."

We hopped out of the car and grabbed my luggage. I looked at my parents' house and smiled. The house still look the same from when I was a kid. I knocked the door and waited for a response.

"Coming!"

I heard my mother yelp on the other side of the door. After waiting for a good minute, I heard the door unlock and I was face to face with the woman with my beautiful mother.

"Kharter!!"

She pulled me into a hug and I hugged her back. It felt good to be in my mother's embrace.

"You look amazing, Ma."

My mom was 48 years old and barely even looked 30. Often times we go out, people mistake her for my sister.

"Thanks baby cakes, you look amazing as well."

"Thank you, where's Dad?"

"Went to pick up a couple things, he'll be back soon. Come on, let's get your things."

Dominique and Ma carried my belongings upstairs. Even though I tried to offer my help, they'll just tell me to sit down. After they finished, Dominique said she had to leave. She left and my mom came in the living room with me.

"How's everything?"

She asked me as she sat on the couch with me.

"Great. I-"

"Kharter, you're lying."

"No Ma, I-"

"Kharter, I know my children like the back of my hand and I know you're lying. So, I'm going to ask you again: how's everything?"

My eyes slowly welled up with tears at the thought of Malcolm.

"Is it Malcolm?"

I nodded my head and she pulled me in for another hug. I cried on her shoulder, releasing all the tears I had bottled up.

"I caught him in MY bed with another woman."

"Oh my gosh, sweetheart. I'm so sorry."

"It's fine."

I wiped my eyes and sighed.

"Well, I'm glad you decide to come home, because we're going to have the best time. Now, come on. Let's go get some milkshakes."

"From Eclipse?"

"Definitely!"

I may be a grown woman, but I'm a little kid when it comes to milkshakes, especially from Eclipse. I grabbed my coat and my mother did the same and we walked to the car. We drove out of the driveway and pulled up to Eclipse. After ordering our milkshakes, we sat down at a table.

"So, have you spoke to Myles or anything?" my mother asked as she played with salt on the table.

I really miss Myles, but ever since that night my heart is just filled with so much pain from him.

"Nah Ma, I doubt he wants to see me."

"Kharter, when you left, he was looking like a sad puppy. Looking all depressed with his lip poked out," she chuckled.

"Look, let's not talk about Myles right now. How's Dad and Kenny?"

"Doing good, working my nerves. Kenny has a little friend and be wanting to take her out all the time. I love how much of gentleman he is, but I prefer he be a gentleman with his own money."

I chuckled at the thought of my once 7 year old obnoxious brother, who is now a 15 year old wanting to take a girl on dates.

"He'll be so excited to see you K, he miss you so much."

"I miss him too, well all of yall. New York just ain't the same without my folks."

"Everyone will be so excited to see you tonight at Grandma's birthday celebration. You know some of your cousins came down from California for the summer."

"You talking about Lexi and Leia?"

"Oh yeah, them little girls here too."

Me and my cousins, Leia and Lexi, were like three peas in a pod. We hung out so much, people thought we were sisters. After they moved to California to live with their dad, we had very little contact.

"Well,I can't wait to see them tonight," I said before I took a sip of my chocolate milkshake.

Myles

"Dominique, I'm not wearing this."

"Come on, baby. It looks nice, make you look professional."

"Babe, this a get-together for your family. I don't need to come like I'm going to a business meeting."

"Whatever, just know my family will love you."

"I hope they do. Nique?"

"Yeah?"

"You don't think we're moving too fast by getting engaged?"

"No sweetheart, this is perfect timing," she said before she walked into our adjoining bathroom. Tonight was the night I was meeting all of Dominique ' family and I had this weird feeling in my stomach about this. My mom agreed to watch Kyla tonight, I just didn't want her family to know about me having a child yet. Especially since this is my first time meeting all of them myself. After Nique finally finished getting ready , we were on our way out. I convinced her to have me change in a more comfortable and settled on a simple black Polo, some jeans, and some black Converses. Dominique was wearing the same, just more feminine. As I drove, I kept looking over at Nique. She's so gorgeous, how did I get so lucky?

......

We finally pulled up at the grandmother's house and I killed the engine. She caressed my hand and smiled at me.

"You ready?"

I nodded my head and we walked towards her grandmother's house. The weird feeling in my stomach appeared once again while we waited for someone to answer the door. The door finally opened and were greeted by Kharter's mom?

"Myles? It's been so long," Miss. Diane yelped.

She gave me a hug and opened the door for us to come in.

"What's Mrs. Diane doing here?"

"She's my auntie, silly,"she giggled as she nudged my arm.

We sat down on the couch, just chatting with Mrs. Diane. After a couple minutes, we heard the front door open. I had my back turned to the door, I was lowkey tryna see wassup with ESPN.

"Alright, Mom. I got the rotille dip and the chips. Kenny has the drinks."

That voice, it sounded way too familiar.

"Kharter, I would like for you to meet my fiance."

I turned and was face to face with Kharter. She looks the same, but she looks absolutely gorgeous. She developed into such a beautiful woman.

"Kharter?"

She looked at me and I saw her eyes glisten, meaning she was about to cry.

"Excuse me for a minute," she mumbled as she walked out of the front door.

Kharter

Memories from that night kept replaying in my head.

(Kharter in MM)