Epilogue

Epilogue

United Earth Headquarters, New Switzerland

0900 Hours

November 17th, 2167

Captain Fletcher looked out over the crowd of people sitting in the huge room. Rows and rows of dignitaries from every country murmured. There was even a row filled with Russian defectors that had come to help United Earth with the cold war that was taking shape. He and his senior staff stood in a row across the stage, each one with a smile on his face.

The rescue ship had come, just as they had depleted their supply of emergency rations. All two-hundred-eighty-four remaining crew members had been crammed onto the relieve ship and taken home.

When they had made it safely back to earth, they had all received the highest commendation from the Governing Counsel.

The captain stepped up to the podium and a hush fell over the crowd.

"Seven month ago, sixteen men gave their lives for the protection of my crew. Our lives are forever in their debt." His voice echoed though out the silent room. Someone coughed and Fletcher continued.

"Their sacrifice must not be forgotten." The captain looked over at the counsel members sitting at a table on the right side of the stage, then back to the crowd.

"Word has spread of what was discovered on Mars; of the alien ruins that were uncovered. We now know that we are not alone in the universe. Today, mankind takes it's first step towards a bigger future. A future that my crew and I would not be a part of if not for those brave men."

The crowd erupted in an applause as captain Fletcher stepped away from the podium and took his place beside Alyssa.

She looked him in the eyes. "We might have survived the first part, but I have a feeling that this is just beginning."