Chapter One - Connor Deserves to be Spat At

Start from the beginning

The kid I was instructing nodded. He adjusted his position, swung again and I repeated my block. The grip on my sword shifted, and I dropped my weapon. "Wow, that actually worked!" He exclaimed. "Thanks, Astra!"

I nodded and smiled. "Be sure to ask Clarisse if you have any more questions. I only specialize in archery; not sword fighting."

"At least you don't give us killer wedgies if we mess up."

I stifle a laugh. "That's true, but sadly, I'm only your substitute for today. Be glad she came down with a minor cold." The demigod bowed and ran off. I wiped at my forehead with the sleeve of my shirt and took off the training armor. New demigods meant more training, and they definitely needed it for what was about to come. It was only a matter of time when Ouranos was going to strike.

You're probably thinking: Why in Hades is Astra acting so mature?

Well, over time I finally realized that I needed to take life seriously. With death impending and trying to free my father from Ouranos, the time to step up and lead our camp–, I'm just kidding. If possible, I'm even weirder than I used to be. Maybe it's the avoiding dance I usually do dodge Lance or the constant snacking of chocolate tacos; it could even be that I'm losing my marbles. A.K.A. stars. Ha. I've only been acting seriously around the newer campers; gotta look good for them, you know? I'm the only daughter of Artemis here; have to set a standard.

As I strolled past the volleyball court with drachmas in hand (I wanted ice cream), I was immediately slammed in the head with a, well could you guess? The gold coins rolled away down the hills of the camp. Took me weeks to make enough to buy a popsicle. Goodbye, maturity mask. "I SWEAR TO THE GODS, CONNOR, STOP HITTING ME EVERY TIME I WALK BY!" Picking up and chucking the ball in the air, I smashed a serve across the net and watched gleefully as it hit the child of Hermes' rib cage, which sent him flying across the sand.

"Never mess with a girl, man," Travis, who apparently was playing against him, merely shrugged at his brother's pain. "Haven't you learned that already?"

"You've got that right," I dusted off my hands and gave Travis a solid high five. "Connor, you owe me an ice cream."

"Stealing it is," Connor groaned as he sat up, rubbing the back of his pounding head. "I regret everything. Actually, nah, I don't."

I shook my head no and held out an empty hand. Connor sighed as he dug deep into his jean's pockets and dropped three drachmas and a stick of gum in my hand. "You owe me two more; I want the good ice cream. Not the ones that melt before I can open it," I said as I placed the coins in my pocket. Unwrapping the gum and popping it in my mouth, I chewed away at its minty flavor. "Thanks for this, though."

"No problem; you needed it," Connor waved a hand in front of his nose. "Everyone at camp could smell the garlic breadsticks you had for breakfast a mile away."

With no hesitation, I spat the wad at his face and it stuck to his nose. He screamed and began shaking his head like an angry rocker or a wet dog, trying to get it off of his face. I need to make more girl friends. Maybe Katie can teach me how to garden?

"I warned you, bro," Travis sighed. He turned to me with his shoulders crossed. "Are you gonna tell Chiron we were slacking off? The toilets should learn how to clean themselves because, by the gods, they are disgusting!"

"No," I shrugged. "I don't care; plus I slack off all the time too. Although, I wouldn't mind a little incentive to keep quiet..." I held out another empty hand. Travis merely glared as he too went through his pockets and placed a shiny drachma in the palm of my hand. "Pleasure doing business with you folks," I said happily as the coins jingled in my pocket.