Chapter Four : What's Done In The Dark

Falling For Hunter - Chapter Four : What's Done In The Dark

The speed I'm going can no doubt make Usain Bolt envious.

The sweat trickling my body probably makes me look like I've took a bath in Niagara Falls and my heart is beating incredibly fast, thumping against my chest. As I run through the dark and frigid streets of our small town I can't help but think of Angie's small little not so innocent face. The way she smiled from ear to ear, the small fairy like sneeze that whipped out of her nose when she was standing next to daisies. The way her pigtails bounced with each step she took.

I come to a halt in front of the entrance of an old abandoned liquor store called "Harveys". I shivered against the cold dim streetlight standing in front of the building and regretted not bringing a jacket when I zoomed out of the house. I was wearing a dark blue tank top that was not doing my skin justice.

"Where are you Angie?" I asked to the freezing wind. I took my phone out of my back pocket. The light from it brightened up the entire area I was in. My thumb scrolled over icons after not getting a response. Tristan hadn't called me so there was probably no news of Angie showing up to the house.

I hung my head down in shame and decided to do the only thing I could which was calling the police. As soon I was about to stamp the last digit 1 I heard a trickle of a laugh.

It wasn't just any laugh. It was an Angie laugh. I looked up from beyond my soaking sweaty wet bangs and tipped my head sideways to search throughout the darkness from whence the laugh ventured.

"Angie, is that you?"

The dim streetlight revealed long pigtails escaping the shadows. On cue I grabbed her up in a tight hug, happy to find her alive.

"Okay okay, you're killing me." She said, muffled in my shoulder.

I pulled away and smiled sheepishly, but then my smile fades away. "Never do that again."

She frowns while interlocking her small fingers together, looking down at them. "It was the only way I could get anyone to play with me."

Shaking the lines of guilt off of my sleeves I gave her a sharp look in those big round eyes of hers, "Running off like that isn't the best invite for someone to play with you. If you wanted to play you could have just asked Tristan or me."

Angie shrugged, "My brothers like doing their own stuff and they never inwude me."

I laughed a little. "You mean include me?"

She shook her head. "Yeah, that word."

I laid a hand on her left shoulder and sighed,"Boys are going to be boys, but tonight you probably have the hair on their arms standing up. They'd be nothing without their little sister."

She smiled cheekily, twirling a pigtail on a small stubby finger. "I am awesome, aren't I?"

"And so modest." I let out sarcastically as I scooped her up into yet another hug.

Neither of us got to utter a single word at the ear scorning sound of mobile wheels screeching on the moist street pavement. A tinted white van slithered against the sidewalk so fast I was terrified it might have turned on it's side, slide on the walk and crash into Angie and I.

The sound of muffled voices could be heard from the other side of the van door. I pulled Angie even closer into my crinkled tank top and took a few steps backwards.

Whoever was in that van was definitely not going to see us still standing there.

"What's wrong?" Angie quietly asked in the crook of my neck now that I had lifted her up into my arms in case we needed to run.