Chapter 2: If I Can Make it there, I can make it Anywhere

New York City
1957
Harvey's POV
I had just gotten out of the military . Ugh what a war..even though I only served for one year. I couldn't stand it.
I decided to move to New York to get my career started. I graduated my drama school at the top of my class, and I'm ready to pursue anything that will get me recognized.
That's easier said than done. I've been here for about a month and my roommate and I are struggling to pay rent. We would get occasional jobs in little restaurants as cooks, but we were trying to make the best of it. From time to time
I get an opportunity to audition for a part in a Broadway play..but it doesn't work out. I'm starting to believe nothing is going to come out of me. The stress of it is taking over my life.

Carol's POV
As my birthday present I received a check to move to New York. My friend was too much. He said " Carol, you're going to be someone someday and I think it will all start there." So I hauled ass to the city! Once I arrived there, everything felt so vibrant and exciting. I couldn't even blink. This was the life for me. Twenty four and making it in the big city. Okay maybe that sounded a little too confident but whatever. I decided to stay with a group of friends in their luxury apartment. It was really roomy and every other weekend, the girls and I would put down shows for the community and make quite a bit of money off of that. I also had a job at the local theatre, but really I am waiting to hear back from any director of a play for an opportunity to audition.

Two Months Later

I couldn't believe it! I had been offered a chance to be the star in the musical comedy "Once Upon A Mattress and it was to premiere in two nights. Boy was I nervous. But maybe things are actually coming together.

Harvey's POV

It's been two months and still nothing exciting. I wasn't on Broadway or anything but maybe a few small plays here and there. It was some way to get an income. I did see an advertisement for a play "Once Upon A Mattress." It was one of my favorite books so I scrambled up any remaining cash I had in order to go see it.

Opening Night

Carol's POV

"Twe-twe-" I slapped myself. "Twelve hundred people?" I gulped. Why were all these people fascinated to see this. Oh well the bright side is this could be my big break. I looked behind the curtain to see the audience and I see one of my idol's in the first row. Lucille Ball. Oh! Why did you do that Carol?! You're so stupid! My knees wouldn't stop shaking. "Two minutes till curtain!" The stagehand with the strong Brooklyn accent announced.

Once the play started, I was on a roll. I remembered every line, every musical number; I was oh so proud and I made the audience laugh and applaud.

Harvey's POV

I was at the premiere of the show when I saw the lead actress. I looked at the program and saw her name. 'Miss Carol Burnett.' Hm. She was quite a zany character I might add. I found her strangely attractive. Maybe because she was so loud, funny, and had so much talent in probably her little finger alone; and I haven't seen any girl like her. Every time I tried to date someone, they were either uninterested, or were the complete opposite. I don't know how I'm ever supposed to fall in love. But tonight I felt this was it. I don't personally know her and I probably can't get backstage unless I was someone important, but she seems special to me and hopefully I can find her whilst walking by on the streets of the city one day.