Chapter 2

Chapter 2

       All eyes were on me the next day after school when I walked into the stupid drama classroom. It was the very first day of the play meeting or whatever it was called, so everyone who wanted to be in the play was welcomed. Or anyone being forced there as well.

       I ignored everyone and sat on one of the chairs in the back, dropping my bag beside me. I still didn't think that being in the play was a just punishment for releasing scorpions in the science lab. It was a cruel and unusual punishment.

       "Alright, everyone!" the eccentric drama teacher, Miss Conte said with an over-enthusiastic smile. I wanted to tell her to chill. We were putting on a stupid play, not winning the lottery. "The play is going to be absolutely wonderful. I've been working with two bright students for the past couple weeks, so a big round of applause for Eva Abernathy and Keegan Friar for the help." Everyone, except me, applauded at the two. Eva and Keegan were the two typical drama kids who always wanted the lead and always got the lead.

       "That being said, the official auditions will start on Friday," Miss Conte continued. "For those of you who are interested in doing set or tech, I'd still like to have you audition just in case it turns out you're perfect for a role."

       "I'm sorry I'm late!" a rushed voice said. Everyone turned to see Kamille, looking as if she had run down the hallway to get here. "I got distracted in my music class and didn't even here the bell ring."

       "This better not be a habit, Miss Barnes," Miss Conte said. "I don't appreciate tardiness."

       "Right," Kamille said, taking the seat beside mine. I didn't even question her choice to sit beside me when there was plenty of other seats.

       "As I was saying, everyone will have to audition," Miss Conte continued. "Even if you're interested in only tech or set building. Now, on the play itself. It's a romantic story," gag, "between two polar opposites. We decided to have the male lead coming from a dark history. His name is Jacob and he doesn't get along with anyone. He snaps at anyone who tries talking to him and hates when people even go near him. Then there's the female lead, Jada. She's a very peppy and kind girl who wants to help everyone who she feel needs it. One day, they cross paths and thus begins their story."

       Great. Not only was I going to have to audition, but it was for a romantic story. There was a chance I was actually going to be in the play. I would just have to make sure that my audition would be the worst one ever.

       Miss Conte then told everyone we were going around the room, saying our name and why we were here.

       She looked a bit shocked when it got to me. I guessed nobody was expecting me to ever step foot in the drama room. "I'm Munro," I said. "And I'm here as a punishment for releasing scorpions in the science lab yesterday."

       "Don't take it as a punishment," Miss Conte said. "Take it as an opportunity to express yourself."

       I gave her a thumbs-up, though my mind was thinking something completely different. I'll take it as an opportunity. An opportunity to get back at my brother.

       As it turned out, I was the only one who was being forced to be here. Most of the answers had to do with wanting to get lost in the art of acting or learn more about technical theater.

       Miss Conte started handing out monologues from the script, telling us to start working on it for the auditions on Friday. We even had to remember the monologue. We had three days. What kind of crazy crap was this?

       When it was time to leave, I was one of the first out, not wanting to stay any longer. That and Nick was probably waiting for me since I drove him home everyday.

       Nick was sitting on the hood of my car on his phone. He glanced up when he saw me and smiled. "How was the first meeting?"

       "Shut up and get in the car," I snapped as I opened the door to the driver's seat.

       Nick hopped off the car and got into the passenger seat, the stupid smile still on his face. I really hated being the middle child at times. My older brother was my freaking guardian and made stupid decisions for me and my younger brother liked pestering me about the things I hated. Stupid.

       When we got home, I wasn't surprised to hear yelling from my ever-so wonderful sister-in-law. To say she rarely yelled was an understatement. For months, we had been having to put up with her anger. I was actually surprised Laughlin was keeping his calm. He used to be a very hot-headed person.

       "Babe, I don't know why you're freaking out," Laughlin said as Nick and I stepped in. "It's not that big of a deal."

       "Not that big of a deal?!" Elliot asked. "You gave our daughter soda and now she won't go down for her nap!"

       "She doesn't need a nap," Laughlin objected.

       "Yes, she does!" Elliot said. "If she doesn't have a nap now, she'll fall asleep too early, then she'll wake up in the middle of the night and I won't be able sleep because you refuse to wake up to put her back to sleep!"

       "And when our son comes along, we're both going to wake up," Laughlin said. "Ellie, it's fine. She'll just have a later nap."

       Elliot scoffed and went to her and Laughlin's bedroom.

       "I love you, Elliot!" Laughlin called after her.

       "Whatever!" Elliot called back, slamming the door.

       Laughlin sighed and saw Nick and I standing there with raised eyebrows. "I swear, I cannot wait for that baby to be born. Everyday, she finds a little thing to complain about."

       "It's your fault," Nick said. "'Hey, I think I'm going to propose to my girlfriend of one year when I'm nineteen. Oh, got married and I'm twenty. Time to impregnate my wife. Now that my daughter is born, I think I'll impregnate my wife again because obviously, I didn't handle enough of her crap the first time.'"

       "Ha ha," Laughlin said sarcastically with an eye roll.

       "But seriously, who gets married young?" Nick asked.

       "A lot of people," Laughlin said. "Why does it matter? Elliot and I love each other, so why wait? There was no point waiting for a couple years if we were going to get married anyway. So, Munro. How was the first meeting for the play?"

       "Screw you."

       "Ouch, that's a little harsh," Laughlin said. "It can't be that bad."

       "Not that bad?" I asked. "You should have heard everyone there. 'Oh, I want to be here because I want to get lost in the world of acting. I want to explore my inner feelings and use them to portray my character with as much accuracy as possible.'" I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Seriously. I don't belong there."

       "You also don't belong in county jail but you'll possibly wind up there sooner or later," Laughlin said. "Take my word for it, be thankful."

       "And take my words of you're dead to me," I said before going into my bedroom. Now, let's practice making the worst audition ever.

_____________

A cranky Elliot is a rare thing. Except for when she's pregnant. Kudos to Laughlin for putting up with her.

So even though there was a cast list for Fight For Me, this one won't have one for one reason only: Some of them are too young to be cast in this one. Take Munro for example. In Fight For Me, I had Max Charles, who's twelve as of right now, cast as him. He'd be way too young to be Munro in this one. Same goes for Nick.