Away For Awhile

I wake up in a pink room. Uh pink. I hate the color. I try to fall back to sleep, but can't. I'm at a summer thing. Not a camp, but more like a school without the learning. It's in California. Its a boy and girl thing, which I'm glad about. I couldn't survive a bunch of teenage girls for a whole month and a half. I am a girl, but a tomboy. I always hung out with boys when I was younger, so I've adapted to the dude life.
I get up and put on my clothes. I put on a black t-shirt with black jeans that I've ripped multiple times and black boots. I put on a red and black flannel shirt. Hmm too girl. I put on my red and black baseball cap on backwards. There we go. I leave my blonde hair down. I never put it up, its quite long though. Its down to my armpits. My roommate, Angela, wakes up.
"Ugh, look at you."
"What's wrong Angela?"
"Your sense of style makes me sick."
"Whatever."
"What is that on your hat?"
"A picture."
"Of what?"
"What does it look like?"
"It looks like a ninja."
"I knew you ha a brain in there somewhere."
"Excuse me?"
"Bye Angela!"
I walk out of the room and down to the cafeteria. I see my best friend, Derek, sitting at a table with one of our new friends, James. I sit down next to Derek.
"Sup boys?" I say.
"Oh my God, Serena." Derek responds.
"What is it, Derek?"
"Just the fact that you're more guyish than a lot of dudes I know."
"Alrighty then."
James looks at me.
"Hi James." I say with a smile, knowing he has a crush on me.
"Hi Serena." he replies, blushing.
"What's up?"
"Nothing much, but um, Would you like to maybe, go to a movie or something?"
"What movie?"
"I don't care."
"Wanna see 'The Visit'?"
"Why not."
"Cool."
Angela thumps down the stairs wearing a pink sundress. She plops down next to James.
"Hey Derek?" Angela asks and giggles.
"Yes, Angela?" Derek responds.
"Wanna go see a movie tonight?"
James interrupts.
"Me and Serena are gonna see 'The Visit' we could double date."
"Why not."
I roll my eyes. I hate dates.

I look at my digital watch, eight thirty. The boys should be here to pick up me and Angela any minute now.
I here a knock.
"Come in!" I yell.
Derek walks in, "Are the ladies ready?"
"Of course, Derek." Angela says as she wraps her arm around Derek's, "but where is James?"
"Getting the car ready."
"KK. Let's go."
James is waiting for us when we get there. I take shotgun and Derek and Angela sit in the back.
Angela goes to kiss Derek, but he turns away.
We get to the movies a minute before the movie starts. We get our tickets and go in the theater. I sit next to James and Derek, and Angela sits on the other side of Derek. Me and James hold hands. I throw my other hand loosely to the side of me.
I'm not typically a love girl, but when people ask me on a date, I say yes.
James holds my left hand with his right. I feel something, or someone touch my right hand. Derek.
I lean over toward him.
"What?" I whisper
"I knew that would get your attention."
"Why is it, Derek?"
"Help me! Angela is horrible."
"Tell me about it."
"She is way to clingy. What should I do?"
"One sec."
I stand up and go towards Angela.
"I need to go to the bathroom, come with me?"
"Ya." Angela responds.
While she's grabbing her purse, I turn to Derek,
"Make sure somebody accidentally takes her seat."
"Got it."
Me and Angela go to the bathroom. She redoes her makeup in the mirror, it takes forever.
"Angela, it's a dark room, nobody is gonna see you."
"Gosh, impatient much Serena."
My phone vibrates. I look down to see a text from Derek that says,

All covered :) you can come back now.

KK.

Angela finishes her makeup and we walk back in the theater where a small child sits in her seat.
"Oh Angela, you can sit next to James. Someone took your seat." Derek says with a smile. She sighs as she sits down.I sit in between Derek and James, like before, and Angela sits at the end of the row next to James.
"Thanks S."
"No problem, D."
We watch the rest of the movie in peace.

About two hours later, we get up from our seats and go to leave. Angela is trembling. She was terrified. I don't know why. It wasn't that bad. She trips and Derek catches her by the arm. I don't know why he would catch her, but he did.
"Oh look at your muscles, Derek. So manly. You do sports I suppose?" she giggles.
"Well ya" Derek says laughing, "you cheer at all of me and James's football games."
She giggles, it sounds more like a high-pitched shriek though. At our summer game we can sign up for a variety of sports, I didn't though, I'm more of a gamer.
"You are so funny."
They talk in quiet the rest of the way to the car. James nudges me.
"What?" I say.
"Thanks for not doing, that." He says, pointing to Angela and Derek.
"Doing what?"
"Angela's whole game."
"What game?"
"I'll tell you later."
"Oh. Okay."
We get back to our dorms.
"Hey Derek, want to come in and have dinner?" Angela asks Derek.
"Why not, Angela." he responds.
She shuts the door on me, so I walk with James to him and Derek's dorm. I walk in his room. Red walls with black carpet. Posters strung around the walls. Some of sports, some of video games.
"Do you want somethin' to eat?"
His question startles me. I was so focused on the décor.
"Ya sure watcha got?"
"Mac and cheese work?"
"Yay mac and cheese!"
"Alrighty then."I sit on Derek's, or at least I'm pretty sure it's Derek's, bed, facing James's bed, which he sits on facing me.
"So tell me about Angela's game." I say game with finger quotes.
"Well if you must know. She dates guys and is super annoying, at first. She lets them do all the talking and figures out what they enjoy-"
"Like what?" I interrupt.
"Well, sports, school, anything."
"Keep going."
"Then she looks up a bunch of stuff about that particular thing, and acts like she knows everything about it."
"That's terrible!"
"I know."
"Wait how do you know all this."
" I'm friends with her recent boyfriends. That's why she was on her phone at the theater."
"Woah."
Bing! The mac and cheese is done.
"Up, that's the mac and cheese."says James.
"I'll get it!"I reply.
He gets up and lays on the floor. I grab the mac and cheese and put it into two bowls. I put the bowls on a tray and reach into the fridge and grab two iced teas and set them on the tray. I walk over and place the trays in front of us. I lay across from him and we eat in peace.