Chapter 8

Demi

"Say something." I said in a soft voice after Nick was silent for an uncomfortable amount of time. I just told him I was pregnant & since I had been on the pill for years, I'm sure he was in shock. I was also pretty sure he was thinking I did this intentionally, since I wanted another baby so badly. I watched his face, still nothing coming from his mouth. Instantly, I was back in time to that moment when we were barely fifteen & I told him I was pregnant after we had a drunken night together, ending with us losing our virginities. He had the same look of shock on his face, back then, that he had right now. I thought I was going to lose my mind if he didn't say something soon.

Finally, I saw movement in his expression & then I saw him swallow, so I knew he was about to speak. His eyes narrowed, then he looked around for a moment, as if he suddenly thought of something incredible. One of his hands came up, then he was holding up his forefinger. "Wait. It's April Fool's day. Is this a joke?" He was unsure if he should smile or not & I found it adorable.

I let out a sigh, annoyed that I hadn't realized what the date was before I said anything to him, then I rolled my eyes. "I didn't even realize what day it was." I said, then took a deep breath. "Maybe the joke's on me." I shrugged my shoulders as tears came to my eyes. "I can't fucking believe this happened. I have no idea why... or how for that matter." A sob came out with my words as I lowered my head.

"Wait. So you're really....?" Nick asked, slowly & I nodded, looking down at the floor. "I know why."

I looked up at Nick whose mouth was turned up just a little, in the corners, like he was amused by this. "You know why this happened?" I asked with surprise evident in my tone.

Nick nodded, his mouth smiling a little more as he walked toward me. "God made this happen because he knew I was ready to have a baby. He knew I was just scared & was being dumb as fuck. He doesn't make mistakes you know?" Nick lowered his chin as he put his hands on my hips. "This was fate, Demi."

"I didn't do this on purpose." I said, my chin trembling.

"I know." Nick placed his finger on my lips. "I know you didn't do this intentionally."

I stuck my lower lip out. "You do?" Nick nodded, then moved his hand to my belly.

"It's all happening a little faster than I thought it would, but I'm happy. I'm actually over the moon, right now." Nick said as he leaned his forehead on mine, his thumb caressing my chin. "And Lyric will be happy, but we should wait until you at least go to the doctor before we tell her."

"Good idea. I'll call & see when they can get me in." I started to turn from him, but Nick gripped me, so I couldn't walk away from him. He brought his lips to mine as he smiled & the kiss he gave me, made my toes curl. I could feel how much he missed me in this kiss. It had a hunger to it, but also a sense of relief.

We heard a gasp while we were kissing, which made us stop, abruptly to look at Lyric, who was watching us with a huge smile on her face. "Oh my God. Are you back together?" She was practically jumping up & down & when we both nodded, she came running at us. We hugged her as her arms went around both of us & then I looked at Nick, who leaned to kiss me, softly, over Lyric's head. "So does this mean you decided you're gonna have a baby?" Lyric looked up at us.

Nick & I exchanged a look, then he cleared his throat. "I do want another baby, so we'll have one at some point."

"I have to make a phone call." I said, giving Nick a look, then he nodded. "You two figure out what we're doing today."

I called the doctor & was able to get an appointment scheduled for the next morning. I told Nick once Lyric ran off to use the restroom. "We'll have to take Lyric with us to the doctor. We had plans tomorrow. She wanted to go horseback riding up in the trails around the Hollywood sign."