Chapter 17

AN:// The song above is dedicated Leo and Abela. Enjoy :) 

The car ride home was only fifteen or so minutes, but to me it had to be the longest ride i've ever experienced in my nineteen years of life. We were nearing the house, few words have been spoken since we've entered the car. I watched Leo's hands as they gripped the steering wheel tightly, almost turning white. His hand would occasionally intertwine with mine whenever we reached a red light. As we approach another red light, he grabs my left hand with his right and brings it up to his lips. His delicate mouth trailed kisses from the tips of my fingers down to my wrist, holding my hand close to him.

"How are you feeling Bella mia?" His hazel green eyes glare at me, waiting for an answer.

What could i say? I couldn't let him know that inside i'm an anxious mess. I had no way of knowing how this night would end, and truth be told, i'd prefer not to worry about the future for once. My emotions were all over the place, but one thing i did know was i had missed Leo way more than i allowed myself to believe. This time, I bring his hand to my lips and place gentle kisses on the back of his hand, leaving multiple kisses on a little scar right above his knuckle.

"I don't know how i'm feeling." I say sincerely. All i knew was that this felt right.

The light turns green and we begin to move, but Leo's right hand never leaves my grip. I look out the window, watching as we pass by buildings and groups of loud people enjoying their saturday night.

"Remember, we don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with Principessa." He splits his attention between the road ahead of us, and looking at me. "Protecting you is my main concern. I hope you know that."

I resist the urge to tell him that i wish he had this mentality a couple of weeks ago, but i decide against it. "I know." Was all i managed to reply with. I didn't want to ruin our night.

As we're driving, i see our apartment complex in my peripheral vision. We were almost home, and the butterflies in my tummy came to life again at that thought. Once Leo pulls up to his parking spot, he turns the key in the ignition and the engine slowly turns off. He stays put, not making an effort to get out of the car. I turn around to face him and he's already watching me, those lovely hazel green orbs assessing my next move. I flash him a small smile and he leans forward, running his fingers in the brown waves of my hair. I can feel his silky soft lips being pressed against my forehead and before i open my eyes again, they're gone.

Before i can question where Leo went, i hear the sound of the car door being opened. I look up to see Leo standing there. He steps forward and places one hand on my lower back and the other underneath my knees. I let out a small squeal as i'm being lifted up from my seat. He closes the car door and carries me towards the elevator in our building.

"Do you remember the last time we were in this elevator?" Leo asks, planting a small kiss on my cheek.

I wrap my arms around his neck, trying to recall when i had ever been in this elevator with him. "The day i first moved into this building?"

He nods, as a big grin spreads on his face. "The first time i ever looked into those beautiful Grey eyes." He shakes his head, as if recalling a thought. "I knew that first day there was no hope for me. I was smitten."

I wondered how true that was. I recall the first words i ever said to him, and my face turns scarlet remembering how jealous i was when Paige would refer to him as our "Hot neighbor."

Staking a claim on someone i had barely said two words to was not one of my finest moments.

"Smitten, huh?" The thought of him liking me back then made me smile.