Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning buzzing, despite the fact that classes officially started. Kinda weird how classes started Thursday but oh well. Two days of class then the weekend again for the week. I was happy at how well last night went. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but hanging out with Cody one on one was so nice. He's so sweet and funny, so perfect. Too perfect for real life. He was like one of those characters that you read about and it was so refreshing. Even if we were just going to be friends, he was a friend I couldn't get tired of looking at and being with.

Calculus, ugh. My first class of my whole college experience. 10 A.M. was perfect, not too early but not too late for me. I got there fairly early since I left half an hour early and so I got a nice selection of seats. I picked the third row from the bottom of the lecture hall and plopped into my seat. I was looking for my pencil case in my backpack when I see a pair of legs appear at my side. "This seat taken?" I look up and who do I see? Cody. Of course it's Cody. He's an engineering major and basic calculus is required for his major.

"For you any seat is open," I beamed up at him.

"Someone is very cheery this morning," he rose his eyebrows up at me. He's totally onto me.

"I had a nice night last night."

"Really?" he asked me, "Is that so, hm?" I nodded. "And what made last night nice exactly?"

"Well you know," I started, "I slept uninterrupted."

"And here I was thinking it was because I took you to a nice little place on campus," he said faking hurt.

"Eh," I shrugged, "that was a small part of it I guess." He laughed in reply.

"What are the odds you would be in this class?" I shrugged in response. "Maybe a higher power wanted us to be in the same class so you don't forget about me."

"Me? Forget about you?" I scoffed. "If anyone is going to forget anyone here, it will definitely be you forgetting me."

"I most definitely will have a hard time forgetting you Carli." Right as I was about to open my mouth, the professor walked in. It was an hour class and I don't think I have ever wanted a class to go on forever like I did today. Sitting next to Cody, just us two, learning together.. There was something so genuine about it. Something that felt intimate to me, whether he felt it or not. Maybe I was just a sucker but it was nice to have Cody with me for my first class of the day. We both were goofing off in class, occasionally drawing little smiley faces on each other's notes or drawing lines over our notes. Good thing we used pencil, God knows how annoying it would've been if it were pen.

"You seem like the type to like those little cafes and stuff," Cody tells me as we walk out of the huge lecture hall.

"That was random," I look at him with furrowed eyebrows, "but yeah, I guess I do. They're cute."

"Well cool," he puts his hands together, "There's one on campus on the other side of campus, let's go."

"What, now?"

"Oh shit sorry," he curses, "Do you have a class now? I don't have class until one, I should've asked. I just assumed—"

I put a finger over his lips. "My next class is at twelve, you're fine." He smiles under my lips and I'm quick to pull my hand back. I did that without even thinking about it and before I know it, I feel my face getting hot. "I would love to have breakfast at that cafe."

"Shall we?" he gestures ahead of him.

"We shall."

It was a fifteen minute walk but it was so worth it. The cafe was adorable! It was in an obscure part of campus, behind a really nice building that I assumed to be a lecture hall. There were pretty lights hanging above our heads and they had those cool water things where you can't tell if it's water or an illusion but it is indeed water.